Hummingbird helix 5 gps question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Hummingbird helix 5 gps question

Post by jshow89 »

Looking to buy the helix 5 very shortly, do I need to buy the package with the navionics chip? Or just standard one will work? Just looking for local lakes ottawa to bay of quinte
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Hummingbird helix 5 gps question

Post by toobinator »

When buying the Helix 5, get the package with the chip. When you get the Navionics with the unit, you are getting the chip far below what you would pay for the Helix with even the cheapest Navionics available when bought separately. Now, if you can find someone that has them in stock, that's the next thing. I expect some in any day but they are like hen's teeth to get.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Post by Trout_83 »

ive got the helix 5 and use my navionics chip all the time for navigating/plotting waypoints. I wouldn't want it without navionics. That being said, I trailer my boat to multiple bodies of water (I don't only fish a "home lake"). The only reason I didn't buy the combo (with the chip included) is because I wanted down imaging (which you can't get as a combo). So yeah...id recommend the combo because of the big discount on the chip.
2007 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600, 75 Merc, Terrova iPilot
Rich_22
Participant
Participant

Post by Rich_22 »

I have the Helix 5 DI, and it came as a combo with the navionics chip. Cheapest place I could find the combo was at Orleans boat world. 15 bucks cheaper than sail, and they had a bunch in stock. Bought mine in June.... worth a shot
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Post by Trout_83 »

Ah really ?! I should have shopped around!
2007 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600, 75 Merc, Terrova iPilot
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Have to agree with getting the package as the GPS is really the best when on the water.
Olivier Livernoche
Participant
Participant

Post by Olivier Livernoche »

I have the same unit, love it but am a little dissapointed when it comes to the sonar charts... The depths are few and far between (I have only tried Ottawa river so far).Any body else have the same issue ??? I can see the coloration that would mark depth changes but there is barely anything for depth (ft) on countours

Olivier
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Olivier: You can take the chip and download sonar charts from your computer. This will give you 1' intervals. Go to www.navionics.com, click on downloads, and follow the instructions.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
dana frauzel
Participant
Participant

Post by dana frauzel »

as well..Ed [toobinator] gives advice and does not expect you to go to his place

BUT

he has great gear and deserves your support