Shore Fishing Along HW 7

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Shore Fishing Along HW 7

Post by Oneeleven »

Morning Fellow FH'ers,

I am driving to Toronto next weekend and was planning on heading back to the Ottawa Sunday morning, and taking the 7 home and wanted to try stopping to fish along the way.

There are so many delicious looking lakes. Sharbot? Silver? so many! Have any of you shore fished any of them? I'm wondering if any have a decent vantage point.

If you're willing to share, but don't want to publicly share your spot, I promise discretion. Please PM me :D
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Shore Fishing Along HW 7

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Tia

Not really easy to shore fish Silver lake. It is doable for bass and perch.

I would suggest going to Stump Lake. Its just off the 7.
There is a dock at the public launch and lots of greenies hide in the weeds and lilies to the right of the dock.
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

You can certainly fish Silver lake from shore if you stop at the rest area just off the highway.

We stopped just about everywhere over the years travelling between Stoney Creek and Ottawa with my parents. You could also try the Skootamattta river, there was a rest stop there for the bus (not sure if it's still there) but there's parking for the resturant and the river winds around behind the place. It would be just pass highway 37 on your left.

Marmora has a couple nice spots but would have to venture a little north of highway 7 to access them.

Peterborough is a place I never stopped but has a nice park with the river running right through town, that I always thought looked fishy.

Lots of spots to stop, I'm sure you'll get into some fish.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

At the silver lake rest stop, best fishing is from the West side, deeper and more open water there. The boat launch on the east side is very weedy.

For some reason i find that white works well in silver lake...
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Silver has some great Smallies that you could reach from that Rest Area fer sure, BIG Perch too.

When you leaving? Something to keep in mind, there's a construction zone between CP and Perth that takes HWY 7 down to one lane with a stop light. Most Friday afternoons the West bound lane is backed up about 4 kms and would likely take a good 45 mins to get thru.

RJ
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Sounds like Silver Lake is the going to be it.

And RJ..... I'm going to be driving back Sun, so that stop hopefully won't be too bad. I went passed it holiday Mon and the wait both ways wasn't anything. *fingers crossed* the weekend will be the same :)

Thanks very much for the tips everyone!
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

I have fished a few times at the Black river off at the highway 7 stop and have caught a few small mouth there. You can also catch rock bass there too.
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

I've had good luck on McGowan lake. Decent pike from the campground end of the lake.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

So many options! I might be jumping in with a friend on their boat now for my first time on Quinty, but with all these suggestions, I will have more excuses to go pick my Mom up from TO rather than let her fly home! :D

You guys rock. thanks for the help.