new to fish hawk lanark highlands

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
613rednecklanark
Participant
Participant

new to fish hawk lanark highlands

Post by 613rednecklanark »

gday all , I am new to this website but have seen it before seemed like I should offer advice or love hearing tales I fish primarily for trout in the Lanark highlands/ ompah areas I have fished a lot a lot of lakes up here and offer some of the best trout fishing I have ever seen anyways id love to hear storeys or maybe hear about lakes I haven't been too drop a line all
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: new to fish hawk lanark highlands

Post by CBB »

Welcome to the site and enjoy
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Well gidday lad! The be some of them redneck boys out this way for sure. Welcome to fish hawk.
I used to fish that whole stretch up to the bogie for many years before North Frontenac took over control. So what do you do, get a season road permit and do day trips? Have you ever done an overnighter at any of their sites?
Just curious, I haven't even been past Ompa for quite a while. Even then, it was the very last day of Laker ice fishing on Palmerston. Here's a story for ya. We were ok making it to the Gardens that morning, but let's just say I noticed some darker areas that I gave a wide berth, specially in front of that island shoal. :) We left before noon, the berth was wider, and the launch was much wetter getting off. :shock: I'm pretty I was the last vehicle on the ice that year, so I'm qualifying that as my last redneck moment lol.

Here's another story for ya there lad. Late seventies, I'm getting to learn the whole tour up the powerline, but it was always as a passenger. Still though, there were some great camping trips. Lakes like Oriole, Perch, Middle Branch and Quinn? a few times. hehe. So for this tour, I know the way, George has a truck that can get us to Govan probably, with a 17ft Grumman. John is game to do the trout thing so there's three of us camping. Great! We set camp on Hungry, because even way back then there was no overnite parking on Mair and parking spots cut in off the road were scarce. We had a great day, like how can you not, being camped on a Speck lake. Amazingly, we were all up real early for our trip to Mair. Thus began one of those memories that will forever be ingrained in my highlight reel. Picture this, the sun is just up, the water is like glass with a light mist hanging over the water. Just gorgeous. So we're trolling along, me with a silver bladed worm harness, and I get a hit. Now I've got tons of line out so I give it a hard long sweeping hookset. Woohoo, feels like a good fish. So I look way back behind the canoe into the light mist and see a beauty Rainbow totally clear the water in a great leap. What a sight that was. Now a 3 1/2 lb Bow may not be big by great lake standards, but for me in a back country lake that was a trophy.That evening back at home, I stuffed it with a shrimp and lobster mix, and baked it in an oiled paper bag. To this day that meal still stands as one of my best ever, it was that good. Such a fine ending to a very special day.
It was those trips that got me to buy my first 4x4 in 1982, and I haven't looked back. Still own one.

So redneck, now I figure it's your turn to regale us with one of your trout stories, specially as you still find the fishing so good up there. Looking forward to it.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

"That evening back at home, I stuffed it with a shrimp and lobster mix, and baked it in an oiled paper bag."

- - - -

Makin' me hungry.

Great stories Smitty.

E
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I really gotta make the trek to try some of those lakes!

Welcome aboard!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

lapointeric wrote:"That evening back at home, I stuffed it with a shrimp and lobster mix, and baked it in an oiled paper bag."

- - - -

Makin' me hungry.

Great stories Smitty.

E
Thank Eric. It's a great way to bake whole fish, but try and find heavy paper bags anymore. We had another couple over that night and they were still talking about that meal years later.
Not sure if anyone here would remember, but there used to be a gang that went up there that had a 4x4 ambulance that they toured around in. Also used to be an old bren gun carrier at one of the turn offs into the Quinns.
scarkner wrote:I really gotta make the trek to try some of those lakes!
This will help for a start Steve if you haven't seen it before. http://www.northfrontenacparklands.c...id=12&Itemid=9
There's another lake up that way that still has decent Rainbows and Lakers in it too. No road fee either.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Not sure what that link was.. but it's not working :-(
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

scarkner wrote:Not sure what that link was.. but it's not working :-(
Damn, I usually always test my links. :oops:
http://www.northfrontenacparklands.com/
By far most of the campsites are boat in only btw. Big bonus IMO.
Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Welcome
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
streamfisher93
Participant
Participant

Post by streamfisher93 »

Hey everyone I am also new to fishhawk, i am an avid trout fisherman who specializes mainly in stream fishing for brookies, i do most of my fishing for trout in southwest Quebec (gatineau hills/valley) but have been all over the French land over the years hunting for brookies in creeks and small rivers. As of the past 2 weeks I have really started to research and test out ontario waters within a 2 hour drive from ottawa for bows and brookies, had great success for brookies from shore in the last two weeks of the season in some of the Greater madawaska lakes which was quite exciting for me. I plan to explore the lanark highlands lakes soon as I recently received a stocking list from Kemptville MNR, has anyone had luck in recent years at Duncs, Kates and Peterwhite lake? also was curious about craigs creek and indian creek as they have continued to be stocked, tried eastons in the spring with my old man and got skunked but met a fella who has caught some there. Any info would be appreciated in a reply or a pm!

cheers b'ys
Do what you love and let it kill you, we are all floatin down the river of life may as well fish until the ride ends.
alexb
Participant
Participant

Post by alexb »

Welcome aboard 613rednecklanark.
There are those who Fish and those who just DISTURB THE WATER
alexb
Participant
Participant

Post by alexb »

Welcome aboard streamfisher93 I'm looking at getting back into stream fishing for brookies.
There are those who Fish and those who just DISTURB THE WATER
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Welcome aboard guys!

And Smitty, those kinda stories are always welcome dood. Felt like I was along for the ride.
badbass72
Participant
Participant

Post by badbass72 »

Welcome to the group
Thanks to all my sponsors: Urban Ford, Urban Sport, Quick Lane Auto Care, Quantum, Strike King, Gourley's Outdoors, Goldwing Automotive, Amsoil, Canadian Tire Renfrew and Demonic Custom Tackle