The ramp at Shirley's bay

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

The ramp at Shirley's bay

Post by tbone1088 »

Hey everyone my friends and I are going to shirleys bay on a big bass boat with a deep hull, and we are wondering how the launch is for bigger bass boat... I think its 18-20 ft. long.
WhitESOX
Participant
Participant

Re: The ramp at Shirley's bay

Post by WhitESOX »

The launch at the end of range road is quite shallow, scratched my transducer on a rock there :x

Dick Bell park is better, and if fishing up Deschenes, not much further.
Stanger
Participant
Participant

Post by Stanger »

Yes, go to the park or sailing club. The ramp at Shirley's has next to no grade. Regardless of vehicle type, I guarantee water will be over exhaust and doors before boat floats off trailer. Backing in and driving off the trailer with anything of size is next to impossible there. I've done it lots with many boats and almost always end up in water trying to wrestle boat on/off trailer. My 4Runner which has good clearance had water over back bumper the last time I tried. I've since given up launching there unless it's a 14' aluminum or smaller.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Can confirm, the launch is terrible, especially in this low water. Depending on where you live, the launch at the Aylmer Marina is excellent as well.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I actually modified my boat trailer specifically so I could launch at Shirleys. Even then, it just barely works. I don't think you have a chance.
Muskie23
Participant
Participant

Post by Muskie23 »

scarkner, how did you modify your trailer? I've got a 16' tinnie, and I'd love to lauch at shirley's without risking it all.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Muskie23 wrote:scarkner, how did you modify your trailer? I've got a 16' tinnie, and I'd love to lauch at shirley's without risking it all.
I posted photos on a thread called "lowering my boat".
Not sure if this link works. You can sometimes also flip the axle mounts, but luckily i didn't need to go that far.

http://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php? ... er#p396667