New Member couple questions

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
cmasseau
Participant
Participant

New Member couple questions

Post by cmasseau »

Hey guys, new member to the site, and just starting to fish on the Ontario side. I grew up on the Quebec side and fishing there, and we have a Cottage a good ways to the Jims Lake road. I'm familiar with the rules and regs for Quebec, but just getting up to speed on the Ontario regs.

The Family and I will be putting a trailer up around Calabogie, and I want to do some fishing on Calabogie lake, as well as some of the surrounding lakes. Just got a small 14ft Springbok and 7.5 HP Johnny Johnson.

Anyways I was curious mostly about a spouse fishing on your license, I don't intend to keep much fish, and from the reports I'm seeing its hard to get Walleye above the 50cm limit on that lake. I do intend to keep some Smallies and Northern for a camp snack now and then, but thats not really the main goal. I do however want to ensure I'm following the regs. So As I understand it, kids under 17 are fine to fish on my License, but do I need to have the wife buy one also if she will be fishing with me?
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: New Member couple questions

Post by Super »

Hi,
Yes your wife needs a fishing licence too, but if you only plan to keep a couple of fish, you may want to just buy a conservation licence for both of you as it will be much cheaper.
Check out the limits on the lakes where you will be fishing though so you will not go over the limit if you are fishing alone or with the kids.
The kids fish are included with yours for the limit for the day.
David
cmasseau
Participant
Participant

Post by cmasseau »

Perfect thanks, likely thats what I will do, each a Conservation license, and kids can just fish on our licenses.
miker
Participant
Participant

Post by miker »

its good to review the regs on this (as you mention). here they are for this year: http://files.ontario.ca/environment-and ... nglish.pdf

it is slightly different than what you mentioned..the kids won't be fishing ' on your license', they are separate..but it seems to imply that they need to have some sort of ID on them (do kids have gov't ID? maybe a birth certificate). specifically this part:
A person is deemed to be the holder of a Recreational Fishing Licence
if they are:
1. Residents of Ontario and Canada under 18 years old, or 65 years of
age or older and in possession of any licence, permit, certificate or
identification card issued by the Government of Canada or a
provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates their
name and date of birth.
and then this:
Those who qualify to fish with a deemed licence must follow the
same catch and possession limits as a Sport Fishing Licence.
I guess they have to prove that they aren't 18 or older, and are ontario (or canadian) residents.

that is to be super by-the-book of course.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Super wrote: The kids fish are included with yours for the limit for the day.
David
No they are not. Kids are entitled to their own limit as they are, as stated above, license holders by the fact that they are under 18.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
FishEyes
Participant
Participant

Post by FishEyes »

Just on a side note to your post. If you have a chance, you should consider trying Norcan Lake. Compared to Calabogie, Norcan remains relatively untouched.
Happy fishing!
Steve_pike.jpg
Steve_pike.jpg (6.22 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
Jay_walleye.jpg
Jay_walleye.jpg (5.16 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
Day_catch.jpg
Day_catch.jpg (8.11 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
Steve. :banana-guitar:
cmasseau
Participant
Participant

Post by cmasseau »

Thanks for the Tip Steve, I've seen this one on Google Maps, and its not far. Will be sure to give it a try one weekend.
cmasseau
Participant
Participant

Post by cmasseau »

I think just to be safe, I will buy myself a Sportsman License, the Wife a conservation license, and the kids (6, 8 and 15) can fish when they want, and I will keep to limits of either my own license or the Wife and my license (if she's in the boat).

Again, I'm not going out there to fill the freezer, but what I want to do is catch some good numbers to keep the kids entertained, and interested, and give us a snack while up there.
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

"Filling the freezer"

That might be the #1 misconception about "possession limit". You can't possibly fill your freezer with walleye/doré. It's not a daily limit, it's in your possession at any one time. Which could be a combination of your boat/car/freezer. I kow a couple guys that do fill their freezer and I've discussed this with them before, but they know the chances of being caught are extermely low so they don't play by the rules. Does make me a little happier to know they've both been nailed for keeping undersize fish though...maybe one day they'll learn.
cmasseau
Participant
Participant

Post by cmasseau »

I know many that do, they go out weekend after weekend and bring back their possession limit. I know of and have heard of guys going to lakes that are open for 1 week a yr, and going back daily or even back and forth same day with their limits.

Not how I like to do things, and not how I want to show my young lads to fish. Put the big lads back, and only keep a couple here and there for a shore lunch or Fish fry at the camp/trailer.
joepile
Participant
Participant

Post by joepile »

I'm 99% catch and release (twice a year on our fishing trips we have shore lunches) guy but even though the law is "in possession", I don't think its right. I knew a couple of older gentlemen up north that used to shore fish and I new that they were relying on meager pensions. So if a person wants to keep his limit everyday then that is alright with me. Plus the fact that the ministry never checks so really its kind of a stupid law. I say just make sure that people don't go over their limit per day.