I had a huge... Something!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

I had a huge... Something!

Post by Peron »

I am certainly enjoying bottom fishing on the Ottawa river with worms and there is a huge array of fish that will pick up the bait on or near the bottom. The list of fish is very long, but during the day I had ... Something... Very big that did not fight like any fish that I am used to.

The bite was like something just picked up the hook and started swimming off even with the rod bent. Slowly Peeled drag set heavy (I was using 25 lb fluoro leader on a 40 main line). It pulled steadily but not too fast and then it would stop. I could get some line back in and then it would feel like a snag but it would slowly start off again so I realized it just starting to swim in the other direction. No head shakes, rolling or any kind of erratic pulls in the line that I could feel.... Just a steady tug of war. After about 5 minutes it came off when I was trying to muscle it back.

Did not feel like any fish I have had and I would definitely rule out the usual heavyweight Carps and Suckers... Fought nothing like even the really big ones. It could have been a catfish bigger than any I have ever had but it did not fight like the smaller ones.

I have never caught a sturgeon or a drum on the Ottawa so they are candidates but I am not sure how big drum get?

Any thoughts on what it might have been?

Rod
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: I had a huge... Something!

Post by Wally »

Probably a Sturgeon.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Wally wrote:Probably a Sturgeon.
X2
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Bottom bouncing for walleye on the Ottawa my buddy thought he got snagged so I turned towards the snag and trolled but for some reason could never seem to get on top of it then we realized it was moving but no head shakes like yourself and also like yourself we tried to give it a bit more muscle and it broke off.... :x We guessed sturgeon as well!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Sounds right to be a sturgeon. I caught one last year and until it started rolling near the top of the water, it felt exactly like you described.
donw
Participant
Participant

Post by donw »

Yep, if you were using 40-lb main line, and that fish was just steadily taking line it was almost certainly a sturgeon. And, from your description, a big un! Shame you didn't get a chance to at least see it.
But, hey, if you hooked him once it's quite possible you could do it again! He's probably still hanging around in that area, at least for a while.
Good luck!
Don W
Fishing is fun ... catching something is a bonus
Mike M
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike M »

I truly wish the ministry would open a C&R season for sturgeon on the Ottawa. I've hooked a few accidentally and would love to be able to target them.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Thanks folks! That was my gut feeling but it always helps to run a theory through the "Fish-Hawk researh engine!" Wouldn't be the first time that a perfectly reasonable theory of mine was replaced by a better one here :D

And yes... It would have been really nice to have seen it since I have never caught a Sturgeon or even seen one outside of an aquarium.

Rod
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Sturgeon as others have said is likely your best bet. They are a cool creature. I'd also like to see a CnR season for them, seems like the numbers could support it.

Sounds like you leaned on it too heavy to try to move it. A steady pressure will move most any fish your direction. There is never a rush to get a fish to shore or the boat at any time around me. Take it easy and enjoy it!

RJ
drksthr
Participant
Participant

Post by drksthr »

I'd vote on sturgeon as well. I just hooked into a 4' sturgeon last weekend on 30lbs braid... we went back and forth for nearly an hour and when i finally got him to shore and realized my net wouldnt work I had to think fast. Tried to grab for the tail and when he took off the hook popped out so i never got to land him. Was really cool to see and know what was on the other end of the line playing games with me. glad the hook came out at least and line didnt break.
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Post by fishingcarpenter »

Awesome I haven't had anything take me for a run like that in a while now! I'd agree probably a sturgeon. Also would love to see a catch and release season for them
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

RJ wrote: Sounds like you leaned on it too heavy to try to move it. A steady pressure will move most any fish your direction. There is never a rush to get a fish to shore or the boat at any time around me. Take it easy and enjoy it!
RJ
BTW RJ you are 100% correct! :cry: In my defense I have been spending so much time with my new catfishing hobby (like I was doing at the time) that I got used to those big, meaty mouths that never drop hooks. My finesse game is a bit off! :lol:

Rod
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Chances are it was a sturgeon, but It could have been a log/tree being pushed by the current. Hung up on a rock, freed itself, continued floating with the current.

If I were you, I would tell myself it was a log, and I did not just lose the biggest fish of my life. :D :D
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

Yep sturgeon would be a very good bet!

Good size one can be a freight train!

Joco,,,,,,,love your reports by the way,,,,you sure get your line wet,,,cool. Keep it up