Carps and spawning.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Carps and spawning.

Post by Peron »

I made it out to a spot on the Rideau where there are a lot of carps and there were TONS. Big groupings... Schools of 15 - 25 fish!!! I threw worms, corn on the bottom where they were passing. I used floats. I hit muddy areas and clear areas . They did not take anything. I heard a ton of splashing in a reedy area... probably spawning activity.

I assume that they were focused on spawning instead of eating so my question is how long before they shift back to feeding after the spawn? Days or weeks?

If it is soon I will try and get back before they spread out again.

Thanks,

Rod
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Carps and spawning.

Post by zippyfx »

Sounds like the spawn is on... You may get a taker if your lucky... They will be likely be spent for some time after the spawn as well. Good to know.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Carp can spawn a couple times a spring and they certainly don't spawn all at the same time. If you are in the area they are keep feeding them and they will stay and find your bait.

RJ
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

You can catch carp before, during, and after the spawn. I haven't noticed much of a difference with the bite other than its a hit and miss some days, in fact some of my best days hooking them was when i saw dozens spawning in pods around the shallows.

Chumming is the way to go, if you start seeing bubbles and tails rising around your chum and your bait is in the area get ready for a battle!!!
Cy
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

CyrusG wrote:You can catch carp before, during, and after the spawn. I haven't noticed much of a difference with the bite other than its a hit and miss some days, in fact some of my best days hooking them was when i saw dozens spawning in pods around the shallows.

Chumming is the way to go, if you start seeing bubbles and tails rising around your chum and your bait is in the area get ready for a battle!!!

Seeing the fish that Jprobson caught in what is a definite spawning location I would tend to agree with you but I was in a spot with lots and lots of fish and I had the bottom almost yellow with corn and none stopped for a bite. Same spot last year mif summer and I had lots of fish on. I will try their again soon.... Weird!

Rod