Fish Tagging

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
drew27c
Participant
Participant

Fish Tagging

Post by drew27c »

My cottage resides on a small private lake in Quebec. We have only smallmouth and panfish - but its the best smallmouth fishery I've ever been on. I've never seen such a small body of water produce so many 4lb'ers.

I want to keep it that way.

I'd like to start tagging my catches and recording info which leads me to various questions - but I'll only ask a few.

1. Am I allowed to do this?

2. What physical exterior tag is the best choice?

3. Anyone else done this?

Thanks in advance
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Fish Tagging

Post by avidangler »

I would suggest contacting the Ministry about the legalities. I have no clue if you're allowed but would guess its illegal for the public to randomly tag fish.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

I would imagine it is not legal. With out some sort of permission from mnr. The real question is why would you even want to tag the fish?
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
donw
Participant
Participant

Post by donw »

Hiya Drew:
I would definitely consult with the natural resources ministry before even considering tagging fish. Even though your lake might have very limited, or no, other public access it is still governed by the province.
I am not sure of the regulations in Quebec, but I know in Ontario it would be illegal for someone to create an unauthorized tagging program. There are tons of possible problems with tagging fish, and anyone who does it must be properly trained in order not to injure the fish. Anytime you poke something into an animal it creates the possibility of infection, disease or injury.
Depending on the location and size of the tag, it can also severely impair the fish's ability to move in the water, and could result in predation or starvation if it cannot pursue food.
Those are only a few of the potential problems.
If I were you I'd just be THRILLED to have such an amazing fishery so easily at hand, and not worry too much about tagging.
Cheers!
Don W
Fishing is fun ... catching something is a bonus
drew27c
Participant
Participant

Post by drew27c »

The answer to why I would want to tag fish is simple. Data. I would love to really know how my fishery is doing over the course of many years. I'm a nerd.

I have contacted the QC ministry and am waiting on their response. Thanks guys.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Photograph and measure them. I suspect you will notice unique marks, scars, ripped lips or torn fins that can help identify each fish.

Just like us, I suspect each pattern will be slightly different. Zoom in on a key area like eyes and gills and snap a photo and use a unique area as a reference point, rather than the entire fish.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Just go out and fish the lake & keep a fishing journal i.e. How many fish u caught along with how long you fished. I know your trying to do something good...but tagging fish most likely cause more damage than good.
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!