Hummingbird 798c si purchase

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Hummingbird 798c si purchase

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

hey fellers

Im looking to get some feed back on this fishfinder

Anyone on here ever owned it

Pros/cons

Some guys wants to sell me his for 500$

I was wondering if im getting screwed or if its goi to be my new best toy in the boat

Thanks!!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Hummingbird 798c si purchase

Post by Tip-up »

Hey Kev, I paid $400 for the same unit used without SI 5-6 years ago.

I still use it on the boat to this day. It has worked flawless and was the first of my introductions to Humminbird units.

Let me know if you get it, and I can guide ya through the set-up sequence I have set mine too. It may need an update. A few tweaks and she should will work mint from install to year 20220 lol.

I'd say get it, but certainly shop around first to see what the same units are going for new and used. I seen a 900 series without SI or DI on sale a few weeks ago for $750 I think it was.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

Awesome! Ill see how it goes and if i do get it ill msg ya bud!

Thanks for the feed back .
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

One thing to really consider is if you will use the SI at all. May be able to save a few bucks without that feature.

RJ
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Fishing 24/7 wrote:hey fellers

Im looking to get some feed back on this fishfinder

Anyone on here ever owned it

Pros/cons

Some guys wants to sell me his for 500$

I was wondering if im getting screwed or if its goi to be my new best toy in the boat

Thanks!!
I think it's a pretty good deal also, make sure that transducer isn't to badly damaged either.. I know they tuff but I'd hate to buy a damaged transducer and then have to get another so transducer. .

Best of luck
Cheers :)
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
Grey_Thunder
Participant
Participant

Post by Grey_Thunder »

I owned a Humminbird 798ci SI for a couple of years and just sold it last week for $400 (great condition). I have nothing bad to say for the unit. Worked great, economical for a SI. There are only 2 negatives to this unit:

1. Small size, if you want to use split screen - especially if side-imaging is one of them
2. Cannot be networked. This may be unimportant to you (it was unimportant to me at the time of purchase but I wanted to ethernet my units together in my newer boat). Note that there is a difference between the 798ci SI (which I had) and the 798ci HD SI (the HD version COULD be networked with other units).

So, if this is your budget, its a great unit. If you are willing to pay a bit more, there are good deals to be had (even new SIs of 800 or even 900 series) for < $1000. Good luck.
Fee
Participant
Participant

Post by Fee »

I am looking at the 698 SI at Sail. It is $500 and I was hoping to pick it up during one of their tax-free promotions. Unfortunately, it looks like they are recently out of stock. They had stock last week.

The common complaint I have heard regarding the smaller displays and SI is the lack of real estate for split screen views. Also, I have heard conflicting opinions on the ability of SI units to read depth at speed. They SI units do not come with a high-speed transducer, so you must add a second transducer and link it to the unit with a Y cable. Ed at Paddletales has the scoop and speaks with the greatest authority on the topic. Others have commented that they can read depth at speed.

I suspect the 798 you are looking at is at least $100 over a reasonable resale price.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

I agree with you guys on this and I just got a whole lot of stuff from Ed to be able to link my units together and like mentioned also the y cable to have two transducer in the back.. I have two side and down imaging units before I knew that I could of just gotten one with side and one without. I have at 899si hd ci and a helix 10si, great units and wish I would of gotten a bigger unit then my 899..

Cheers
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
Bassman1144
Participant
Participant

Post by Bassman1144 »

Personally I would save up a few more dollars and go with one of the Helix Units. For side imaging you need to have a 7" screen minimum to actually be able to see it clearly. Good luck with your decision.
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Post by reefhawg »

I've had the 798c SI for several years now. Love it. Can't disagree that bigger is always better no doubt.
I use SI for trolling shore lines primarily. I fish muskie so the troll is usually 4.5 to 5mph and with the SI looking in the direction of the shore I can see the weed line and gauge how far away I am. Helps prevent driving right into the weed patch and having to clear your lines. It still happens when weed line changes are dramatic since the transducer is at the transom,.. can be tough to react. But overall big help.
That is all I use SI for. When I buy my next unit (not too soon) is when I'll evaluate if SI was truly worth it,.. since once I've become familiar with a body of water,.. SI is usually not used.
As for if the $500 is a good price I can't say. I paid $1000 when it first came out. Many of today's new units pack allot in for a great price (less the SI).
Cheers,