Kick starting the Crappie bite

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Kick starting the Crappie bite

Post by Out4trout »

With the warming trend, it seemed logical that the crappie might be moving in.
My son and I slipped out after work to recon a few spots, and got the annual ritual rolling.

The young lad with a crappie

First fish was a beauty 14" SLAB.

It's on. Yum.

8) O4T
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Kick starting the Crappie bite

Post by ipjrobson »

Nice work.
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Nice slab for your son!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Nice one guys, where did u got to catch these
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Good on you for getting out!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

WOAH, that's a giant!
badandy
Participant
Participant

Post by badandy »

Beauty! I've been trying for the past few weeks on the rideau with jigs and artificial grubs but haven't had any luck except the odd perch.

Did you get him in the city?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Len is South of Ottawa is about all I'll add. It always amazes me how driving 45 mins towards the St. Lawrence and a couple degress water temp warmer and things are goin'!

Was doing some video stuff on the Miss on Sunday, temps are almost bang on for the flogging of Craps to begin out there but not yet, maybe today.

That one is a beauty!

RJ

P.S. Say G'day to the young lad for me. He's a good stick.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

beauty slab! :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Thanks guys... Where? Rideau system NE of Kingston, ice has been gone for a few weeks already. The crappie are just getting going here, a bit lethargic still.
I'll say hi to him RJ thanks
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Might be a stupid question but those are good the eat correct?

Thanks

Cheers
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Yes, IMO they are the best fish to eat from a taste perspective
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Way to go Len That's one hell of a slab. I've never caught one that big.
Water temp on the Rideau in the canal at Kilmarnock was 53°F today. Like RJ mentioned the other day the water is quite low for this time of year. Out of the 4 spots I went to today only one produced. Brought seven home with the largest at 11", lots of dinks around. It's been very sporadic so far in the Smiths Falls area with the best slab grab happening 2 weeks ago for a couple of days at one particular lock. Go figure that one. I've talked to plenty of locals fishing the last week and I keep hearing that many of the normal good spots haven't happened this year at all. They're still hoping things will start but the way the water levels are dropping I have my doubts. I would say that the water levels have dropped well over a foot since I was there last Friday.

This one for you Len. So my first time out was last Thursday afternoon. My first stop was this bridge across a creek. Never been there before. No one is there. I get set up and spend 15 minutes there getting used to my new to me 10 ft ul rod. I'm real happy with it so far as it has a great action for Crappie. Anyway, fishing is dead, current is too strong IMO I'm about to go back to the car when this grey van pulls in to the parking area. I start chatting with him back at the car, tell him its dead there. He knows all the spots around and is on a day tour. Old guy, bad back, hearing aids, but still out fishing. Cool. So I figure he's a local and ask him. "Nope he says, I live on 140 acres on the Charleston Lake Road." Really? Seems like way further south but it's really only 25 minutes by road to Smiths Falls and 30 km due South.

Not to highjack things here, but I think it bears pointing out the great social aspect of Rideau River shoreline Crappie fishing. From the first time I did it way back on those day long cruises along the river with the boys and plenty of times out with my girls it was always part of that spring ritual. Sometimes picnics or barbecues are part of the adventure. This evening I was the first person parked at the lock at around 5. An hour later there was at least three different parents there with kids. At least 6 kids. 7 or more vehicles. I had a great time interacting with the bunch of the kids there and their folks. Specially 11 year old Courtney and her dad who were next down the line of folks. She started with dad taking the fish off the hook but after a while insisted on doing it herself. She's gonna be a good fishergirl that one. I made sure to compliment her on it and razz the old man too. hehe I had already met them earlier at a different spot. She started with worms and caught sunfish but once she switched to a pink/white tube that's all she used.

Last but not least. There are plenty of shore fishermen on this site. This is a unique opportunity to catch Crappie from shore, not much else is open anyway, its fun and rewarding, with the bonus at the plate.
For those who haven't tried it before and may not be sure about what to use I can make it real simple for you all. All you need is a microtube with a 1/16 or 1/32 tube jig head. On the Rideau I could easily get by with red/pink head and white tail. In fact that's all I tie on anyway. Not always needed but most use a float. Today my depth was 30" tops. Providing action with your rod tip between pauses has made a big difference from what I've seen lately for sure.

So go for it lads. Now is the time. Oh yea btw. Use the lightest possible line you can. 4lb test is good, even if you only use a 3 ft leader. It absolutely can make all the difference in catching fish or not, trust me on that one.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Thanks for the tips and glad to see so many enjoying this sport we all love.. now just gotta get some crappie and try to eat some. .

Happy fishing
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Good Job Len, I'm hoping to sneak out early next week.... After turkey hunting of course. :-)
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.