walleye tactics

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

walleye tactics

Post by tbone1088 »

So I'm going to try my luck shorefishing on the Ottawa for some last chance walleye, and was wondering what you guys throw this time of year on rivers? Only artificials and lures available..was planning on trying powerbait rippleshads and other scented plastics on stand up jigheads or dropshot rigs. Maybe a shad rap or minnow crank with splitshot as well? Curious what people suggest on this one :)
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: walleye tactics

Post by avidangler »

The water is cold so you'd want to keep your presentation slow in order to leave your bait in the strike zone for as long as possible. I'd go with a suspending jerk bait or plastics to achieve that. I think your biggest problem may be finding area's that are holding fish. Walleye will most likely be in pre-spawn locations. The males may even be on the spawning grounds already. Spawning is totally dependent on water temperature so that's the key to finding them this time of year. Typically, walleye in river systems will swim as far as physically possible to reach prime spawning grounds.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: walleye tactics

Post by Jul0682 »

Good tip, looking forward of trying myself at walleye as well.. can't wait for sure.. come on warm weather.. :)
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp