Spring Catfish

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Spring Catfish

Post by ipjrobson »

Has anyone tried fishing for catfish in the early spring on the Rideau?

I was reading an article the other day and they suggested

Below dams
Current streams
Outside channel bends

I was thinking of giving it a go in these types of areas on the Rideau. Thoughts?
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Spring Catfish

Post by zippyfx »

Not to be a stickler but you likely won't find many Channel Catfish in the rideau; Though I have seen reports of them at dows lake. Has anyone here ever caught a channel catfish int he Rideau system? I have caught them in Ottawa, Madawaska, South Nation, St. Laurence, Bonnechere

You will find lots of Brown Bullhead though. I have the best luck with dead bait or minnows on the bottom.

I have had good luck in the evenings at Stevens Creek and Kars.

Needs to get warmer though (I think i will try to beat the dandelions this year).
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

zippyfx wrote:Not to be a stickler but you likely won't find many Channel Catfish in the rideau; Though I have seen reports of them at dows lake. Has anyone here ever caught a channel catfish int he Rideau system? I have caught them in Ottawa, Madawaska, South Nation, St. Laurence, Bonnechere

You will find lots of Brown Bullhead though. I have the best luck with dead bait or minnows on the bottom.

Needs to get warmer though (I think i will try to beat the dandelions this year).
That's partially why I put it out there. I've never targetted them before. I just figured they were almost everywhere in the waters of Ontario but perhaps not. :P

Thanks for the tip man. When do bullhead and catfish start getting more active(approx)?
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I have never caught a channel cat in the Rideau between Burritts and Ottawa, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. They would most likely be near current. The Ottawa river has catfish. When the bays and creeks warm up a bit the bullheads will be there. I never seem to make it out until late April or early May, but they are probably there before that.
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

I have seen one cought in the RR near manatick just last year.
I have tried targeting them i the same area with no luck.
Tones on the ottawa bottom bounce a live worm.
I use a float jig 6" to a foot off bottom.
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

If you're not set on the Rideau the rock point at Britannia in the spring is good for cats. Hook worm and sinker and you are set. I find it's hard to keep the cats off most times shore fishing the Ottawa with a worm and sinker, they are everywhere.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I find the colder the water the later at night they bite. So you may find they heat up around 9 to 10pm, the bite then moves e earlier and earlier as the water warms, peaking at around sunset when the water is 10 to 15 degrees.
joco01
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by joco01 »

Yep,,if you can try the ottawa river, Cant go wrong.

Or south nation river in caselman area or along that area have good spot

But the OR hard to beat, Unles you can hit the st lawrence for huges ones. Not that far.

Joco,,,,,,good chnace will have a meeth up once again this year at are victorias island cats spot,,,for cats. Like the good old days,,,,,its coming about 6 weeks...will get my shrimps out
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Roughly 70% of the BioMass of the Ottawa River is Catfish. Tough not to find one or two!

Spring time I'd be looking for creek mouths and warmer water with sand.

PM me if ya want a few starting spots.

RJ
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

Hoping to get one bigger than this badazz I picked up a few years ago on the Larry. Just over 16lbs. We usually don't start fishing for them until June but I'm going to try my luck earlier this year. Probably try at Jones Creek

zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

banjo wrote:I have never caught a channel cat in the Rideau between Burritts and Ottawa, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. They would most likely be near current. The Ottawa river has catfish. When the bays and creeks warm up a bit the bullheads will be there. I never seem to make it out until late April or early May, but they are probably there before that.
Cool nice to know they are in the system, I have bottom fished many areas on the RR and I have never had one find my worm/minnow.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

ipjrobson wrote:
zippyfx wrote:Not to be a stickler but you likely won't find many Channel Catfish in the rideau; Though I have seen reports of them at dows lake. Has anyone here ever caught a channel catfish int he Rideau system? I have caught them in Ottawa, Madawaska, South Nation, St. Laurence, Bonnechere

That's partially why I put it out there. I've never targetted them before. I just figured they were almost everywhere in the waters of Ontario but perhaps not. :P

Thanks for the tip man. When do bullhead and catfish start getting more active(approx)?
When the pan fish start to bite the bullheads and channels usually start to bite; Some of the people on the site use the dandelion rule.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Thanks for the insight everyone. It seems like the general consensus is that it may be best to wait for warmer times.

However, if i am going to try hit up creek "mouths and warmer water with sand."

Also, try dead baits or minnows.

I know it may seem like I am repeating but it helps me remember :P
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

ipjrobson wrote:Also, try dead baits or minnows.
I use chicken or beef liver. I always had a hard time keeping it on the hook so last year I started making up liver bags :lol: kinda like a roe bag for trout or salmon. I was using square pieces cut from pantyhose and tied them up. Worked really well
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Netman wrote:
ipjrobson wrote:Also, try dead baits or minnows.
I use chicken or beef liver. I always had a hard time keeping it on the hook so last year I started making up liver bags :lol: kinda like a roe bag for trout or salmon. I was using square pieces cut from pantyhose and tied them up. Worked really well
Oh I never thought about trying to hook it up like that . That would be very interesting.