First Muskie

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bsc2000
Participant
Participant

First Muskie

Post by bsc2000 »

Hi all,

New member here but have been reading the threads for years. My oldest son is now just about fishing age and i'm hoping to get out much more this summer. That being said, i have never caught a muskie and its right up there on my list. I have heard lots of people say under the bridge in Jonstown, or the mouth of the kemtville creek, or just east of Brown's Bay but i would love some more detailed help. If anyone has any tips, tricks, and especially locations, please help a guy out :).

Thanks in advance!
MUSKY HUNTER
Participant
Participant

Re: First Muskie

Post by MUSKY HUNTER »

tips make sure you have a heavy guty rod, reel and line lol.....are you shore fishing?
MUSKY HUNTER
Participant
Participant

Post by MUSKY HUNTER »

tips make sure you have a heavy duty rod, reel and line lol.....are you shore fishing?
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

The stretch of river between the 44 and 416 bridge (yes, the mouth of the creek is smack dab in between these two bridges) is known to hold them.

How to catch them? I'm not so sure. I've caught a nice one wacky rigging for Bass but many people troll or throw the Bull Dawg around that area.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

lape0019 wrote:The stretch of river between the 44 and 416 bridge (yes, the mouth of the creek is smack dab in between these two bridges) is known to hold them.
That is a very good stretch but the boat traffic can get heavy! Troll weedlines or cast big suwicks or pdeez bucktails! If by shore I used to have lots of luck under the becketts bridge when I was shore bound!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Lvace is 100% correct. This is most definitely a busy stretch. I tend to stay away from it during nice Saturdays. During the week, it is much better.
bsc2000
Participant
Participant

Post by bsc2000 »

Beauty responses folks thanks! I know its still early but ive got the itch haha. I just bought a new baitcaster (now i have 2 months to practice casting) and am going to get a one piece 7 1/2 medium to heavy action rod. I have the buck tails and spinners so ill have to get out between the bridges. So just along the edges? Any tips on time of day or time of year? Am i wasting my time going out opening weekend?

Thanks
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

Get out on opener, I've actually had better numbers in the first few weeks of course once bass opens i don't really target them. but they seem to like eating my jigs

I actually prefer to throw smaller baits and catch some pike at the same time. Can't go wrong with weed lines

Make sure to be prepared to land quickly, snap your pic and release quickly, Hook cutters, good long pliers, jaw spreaders and big net or cradle
- Rick Ozga
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Needle in a Haystack in the St. Lawrence. The Rideau, Ottawa and Madawaska all have good populations.

Booking a local guide for the day will exponentially shorten the learning curve, I know a guy. :lol:

Be prepared, they're addictive.

RJ
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

I caught some on top water lures...Talk about heart stopping action! Addictive is the word!
Good luck
Dave ;)