Crappie Season

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
snapper
Participant
Participant

Crappie Season

Post by snapper »

Due to our milder winter, open water comming earlier, should this move the spring Crappie season up earlier than normal?
Looking forward to getting out again.

Snapper (Ron) sends VVV
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Crappie Season

Post by Oneeleven »

I was wondering this myself! Crappie are such fun!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Crappie season or the best part of it is 100% decided by water temps to push the fish shallow in traditional areas.

I don't really bother until the water hits 50 degrees, then it's game on.

Still lots of ice around with trucks still on ice out my way so we aren't looking at that much of an early season so far....

RJ
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

really tricky until the water temp warms and stays consistent in the shallows. Spawn happens in May (65 degree water)but they will be in shallow to feed a month before that, as RJ said 50+ degree will get them going. The problem is that 1 day of cold weather will push them back out deep. If you know where they come in shallow to feed and spawn then find the most direct path out to a basin of atleast 20fow. From ice out until spawn they will be somewhere inbetween the spawn/feed shallows and the basin. If you can find them consistently during this iceout to 50 degree time you are a better man than me because its tough. The ideal spot is a shallow flat with weed or bulrushes on a north shore that has basin within 100M or so.
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

Crappie season can't come soon enough! Had fun targeting them last year but sadly only found small ones in my few trips out for them. This year will be different! I hope
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Where would one go crappie fishing and what do u use?
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp