Early spring shore fishing - Jock River / Ottawa South

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
badandy
Participant
Participant

Early spring shore fishing - Jock River / Ottawa South

Post by badandy »

Anyone have luck on the Jock River early spring? I was thinking some pike might be lurking around... I was walking around a few of my favourite spots in Barrhaven but the water was murkey and really moving quick. Was trying to hit some of the slow spots but didn't have any luck. Am I too early to be fishing such a shallow river?
tmacinc
Participant
Participant

Re: Early spring shore fishing - Jock River / Ottawa South

Post by tmacinc »

I've never had much luck on the Jock myself. The Rideau is probably a better bet for big fish if you can find a spot out of the current that's shallow. I'd wait until the thaw current drops a bit myself.

Pike usually spawn pretty shortly after ice out and with the early thaw you could technically fish them until March 31st but be mindful that their season closes for 6 weeks in this area as of April 1.

Tom
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Way too early and way too dangerous. A couple guys found out the hard way a number of years back. The first fish of the season are typically crappie, though you'll still have to wait for the back bays to open up and warm up. My guess would be the first weekend in April.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Nyarlathotep
Participant
Participant

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Yeah, I remember reading about those 2 anglers drowning during the Spring melt on the Jock.
badandy
Participant
Participant

Post by badandy »

Ok thanks everyone - guess I'm just a little anxious to get out and start pulling in some fish.

Has anyone had luck with crappie in the Jock or do they mostly stick in the Rideau? I've never caught one.
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

Most of the jock up my way is still froze over. To my knowledge there are no crappie in the jock, I have never caught one myself anyways...... pickerel, pike, bass, Muskie, barbot, all the usual species....Rideau, Mississippi lake both hold crappie in good numbers

Cheers
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

ur best bet is fishing the Ottawa. Problem is most of it is still frozen over. Once in awhile we get very lucky and the ice is gone by the end of march, just as the season is closing on pike/walleye. Some of the best fishing I've ever had is at that time, but it's only happened to me twice in the last decade so its very rare. You need to find slow water, and the warmer it is the better... good luck hope u get one!
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

badandy wrote: Has anyone had luck with crappie in the Jock or do they mostly stick in the Rideau? I've never caught one.
No crappie in the Jock. The creek mouths on the Rideau are a good bet once the back bays start to warm up. When the crappie reports start to get posted or you see a number of cars parked near the creek mouths you'll know it's crappie time. ;-)
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."