Drop shot rods

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Drop shot rods

Post by rodbreaker »

Are there any decent rods for drop shooting that are not labeled as drop shot rods?
Can I just look for med/heavy rods with fast tips?
I have never tried drop shot but I plan on giving it a go this year.
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Drop shot rods

Post by Netman »

rodbreaker wrote:Can I just look for med/heavy rods with fast tips?
All depends on where you plan on using it. I wouldn't go any higher then medium if it's open water but if you're around any structure like weeds and pads or timber I'd go heavier
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

You don't nessicarly need a technique specific drop shot rod to be successful. Any medium fast action rod will get it done, but ideally you want something 6'8"-7'2" medium power xfast.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Rodbreaker: I have some choices at the store that are not drop shot specific. As pointed out, you shouldn't go any heavier than a medium action with an x-fast tip. The price range for quality rods runs just shy of $100.00 to close to $700.00

Ed
Paddletales
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
drake691
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by drake691 »

I know I'm shopping for a new drop shot rod myself, I know i'm looking for a Champion 702sf or 703sf. I just don't know which one to choose yet and who has them in stock
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Drake: We will be at the Bowmanville swap meet on Sunday and I will have a bunch of Dobyns with me on sale. Might be a good drive for you to make.I believe I have both in stock.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

drake691 wrote:I know I'm shopping for a new drop shot rod myself, I know i'm looking for a Champion 702sf or 703sf. I just don't know which one to choose yet and who has them in stock
Hi Drake, I am using a DX 702sf and it's extremely sensitive, light. It is my goto drop shot rod. I usually use 1/4 to 1/8 weight and at some rare occasions I use a 1/2oz (which I feel is heavy but needed in stronger current) so I would suggest to buy the 702sf if you use that range of weights. If you prefer heavier weights then I would suggest the 703sf. I have a DX743sf for wacky style fishing but also use it for tubes. I would find it a bit to stiff for my style of fishing for a drop shot set-up.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Rodbreaker and Drake,

I use a Champion 702SF for dropshotting. This rod isn't specified for it but works very well within its price point. I realize the DX series is more suited for bottom contact and more sensitivity but for this technique, I have never felt a need to jump up to the next level within Dobyns. I'm sure it would help but I just don't see a reason to change.

And Drake, if you can make it to Bowmanville, the prices on the Dobyns are really good.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

lape0019 wrote:Rodbreaker and Drake,

I use a Champion 702SF for dropshotting. This rod isn't specified for it but works very well within its price point. I realize the DX series is more suited for bottom contact and more sensitivity but for this technique, I have never felt a need to jump up to the next level within Dobyns. I'm sure it would help but I just don't see a reason to change.

And Drake, if you can make it to Bowmanville, the prices on the Dobyns are really good.
This.

The 702sf is the rod you want, many speak of the Champion 702sf being a tad more powerful then the DX702sf. A 2 1/2 power if you want to look at it that way. The 703sf will be too much rod for what you are looking to do.

+1 for Bowmanville this weekend, you'll be hard pressed to find a better price then Paddletales will have.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

The ABU Veritas DS rod is also great if on a budget.
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

Picking up a crucial 6'8 med,xfast in the morning.Now I just need a reel.Thinking stradic 2500.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

That's a great stick. My clients enjoy them everyday on the Larry!

Stradic 2500 is a nice match, go CI4 if you can. Throw 8 lb fluro on and giver!

RJ
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

RJ wrote:That's a great stick. My clients enjoy them everyday on the Larry!

Stradic 2500 is a nice match, go CI4 if you can. Throw 8 lb fluro on and giver!

RJ
should I use fluro only or braid with fluro leader end.I see some guys run both?
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I think if you go back a few pages or search you'll find that topic. I prefer mainline fluro but some do prefer braid. My decision to go mainline fluro is dictated by the fine wire hook I use.

RJ
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

I recommend you go see Ed at Paddletales. He will definitely get you set up properly.

My finesse D/S rod is a Dobyns Champion 742 with a 3000 Ci4 reel spooled with 10lb 832 with a 7lb fluorocarbon leader. My hook choices are Gamakatsu Splitshot/Dropshot hook and I use Gamakatsu Finesse Wide Gap hooks for bulkier baits.

I see everyone on here listing the traditional light line finesse gear for dropshoting. If you think dropshoting is only a finesse presentation you'd be wrong.

very

very

very wrong.....
Dobyns Army member