Down the hole!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Down the hole!

Post by Peron »

Based on the SB thread I started to wonder what weird items have found their way down an ice fishing hole. So far we have the recent scarkner go pro loss (did your brother offer any compensation?) and Netman lost an iPhone at one point.

I thought I was bad when I kicked all four of my pop-up ice anchors into the abyss this year when I was tearing down. Clearly even with all that ice and such a small target they have some form of gravitational pull.

What other weird, costly or just plain annoying to replace items have been suctioned by the ice?

Rod
LifeIsntWasted
Participant
Participant

Re: Down the hole!

Post by LifeIsntWasted »

This year I knocked the bucket that had my rod holder and rod attached inside my pop up. Lost the rod and holder. Last night I got a long and dropped it inside and it was swimming around the floor causing a crap storm.. lost a glove. Made for a cold hand when it came time to pack up.
Wallybanger10
Participant
Participant

Post by Wallybanger10 »

I dropped a 2 day old work Blackberry down the hole last Tuesday... I've never dropped to my knees so quickly and managed to catch it while over an elbow deep in the water. Ripped the battery out right away and put in a bowl of rice for 2 days... works like a charm, luckily! Would have been awkward explaining that one...
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

3 Iphones.... Ottawa River/Muskrat Lake/Mississippi :shock: :shock:
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

BradGuenette wrote:3 Iphones.... Ottawa River/Muskrat Lake/Mississippi :shock: :shock:
Might be time for one of these....

https://www.google.ca/search?q=tie+your ... -1oFDuM%3A
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

My uncle dropped a fishing rod, then a scoop down the hole... We ended up snagging both of them in separate trips!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

6 pack of beer.

But it was attached to a string to retrieve.
Keeps the beer real nice and cold.
Trilynx
Participant
Participant

Post by Trilynx »

BradGuenette wrote:3 Iphones.... Ottawa River/Muskrat Lake/Mississippi :shock: :shock:
Is this one of those weird new lake blessing rituals? Does it work? :P

Steve
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Still one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed was my buddy Scotty lowering his Aquavu camera down the hole into 65 feet of water, too bad the cable was only 50 feet. Also too bad it wasn't actually attached to the monitor... :lol: :lol:

RJ
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Tia: I seem to remember you telling us about dropping your I Phone down the hole once. Hmmm. I don't seem to remember any ice though. lol

I'm not an ice fisherman, but once 100 years or so ago, I was out on the ice with some friends. Friend A borrowed friend B ice scoop. Friend a calls for it back from 20 yards or so away. Friend B tosses it back end over end and it goes down Friend A's ice hole, never touching the ice on either side. Friend A was (and is) a tight wad. All we heard about the rest of the day was about the scoop.

Ed

ps: If anyone brings up an old ice scoop on temperance lake, keep it. Former friend A doesn't deserve to get it back.
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Peron wrote:So far we have the recent scarkner go pro loss (did your brother offer any compensation?) and Netman lost an iPhone at one point.
Rod
He offed to cover half the cost of a used one... but honestly, I don't think he realizes that even a used one is in the $400 range :-)

I actually don't plan on replacing it. I was never terribly impressed with it, especially given the extreme cost. It was a gift from my darling spouse so I tried hard to make use of it.

Other weird things down the hole this year (along with pliers, screws, etc)...

How about a fully baited and rigged "jackfish" setup along with a nice spreader, all ready to go... but not actually attached to the barrel swivel on the end of my rod. I feel pretty bad about that one actually as I am sure there is a fish (or two, or three) swimming around somewhere dragging that along behind them... Tried for a long time to snag it, but I think the current must have carried it out of reach.

We also had a kid out for an ice fishing party who lost a boot. He actually stepped in the hole and pretty much dropped up to his crotch before his dad pulled him out... missing the boot.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

This past summer my glasses slipped off my nose at the dock while brining in a bass. I reached for them by they faded in the stained water. I brought in the fish and re-rigged with a small trebble I had handy. I lowered the it down to a depth of about 5 ft.... Gently bounced it off the bottom. I felt some weight, I reeled back in gently. I had snagged my glasses right on the bridge.

They were lost for all of five minutes :P
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

I borrowed a spud from a buddy one time and was using it to open some holes up. No handle or rope on it. First hole first hit down she goes :lol: I looked down the hole and there it was 25ft down standing straight up. Oops
larrybass
Participant
Participant

Post by larrybass »

Netman wrote:I borrowed a spud from a buddy one time and was using it to open some holes up. No handle or rope on it. First hole first hit down she goes :lol: I looked down the hole and there it was 25ft down standing straight up. Oops
Argh, what a bummer! Been ice fishing for years, could have predicted that one. Sure brought out a belly laugh from this old fisher guy this morning. lol Thx 4 sharing on here Netman. lb