What is your favourite Lake or River to fish? and why?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

What is your favourite Lake or River to fish? and why?

Post by Netman »

I have to say the Larry because of the diversity of species to chase and the quality of fish you can catch
Jimbo90
Participant
Participant

Re: What is your favourite Lake or River to fish? and why?

Post by Jimbo90 »

I found a lake on a hunting trip (2 hours on a logging road from the nearest village of Aroland, Ontario, 10 km down an atv trail, hop in the boat, 5km on the 1st lake, portage about 50 yard into this lake) and I have NEVER seen that many trophy pike in my life.. It was late by the time I had found it, but in 8 passes on this one drop, I caught 7 Pike over 9 pounds the biggest being 26 pounds (twice I missed one only to catch another one on the same cast).
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I fish the Rideau quite often because of proximity.

After fishing with OVSB this season though, it opened my eyes to some of the other lakes this beautiful Province has to offer. Although I hated fishing it, the Madawaska Headpon was absolutely gorgeous to be on and Lower Beverly was just as nice. I say that about Lower Beverly partially because my partner that day and I managed the win on that day.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Jimbo90 wrote:I found a lake on a hunting trip (2 hours on a logging road from the nearest village of Aroland, Ontario, 10 km down an atv trail, hop in the boat, 5km on the 1st lake, portage about 50 yard into this lake) and I have NEVER seen that many trophy pike in my life.. It was late by the time I had found it, but in 8 passes on this one drop, I caught 7 Pike over 9 pounds the biggest being 26 pounds (twice I missed one only to catch another one on the same cast).
That's quite the first post Jimbo. Welcome to Fish-Hawk.
That lake sounds like one of those fly-in trophy lakes that the outfitters have. Probably C&R. Have you ever considered going back?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

I am shore/kayak bound so that colours my response since some areas I would like to try are unfishable by me. I think I am going to get a (square stern) canoe and an electric motor this season so I might have a different response next year.

River: Rideau. Heavily fished but it has lots of beautiful shore fishing spots. Still lots of decent fish of all kinds, and it is nice small water with a LOT of diversity to it... (Rapids, waterfalls, shallows, weed beds, dams, docks, locks etc. etc. etc.) all within an hour drive from my home.

Lake: Harder for me to fish but when I can almost any lake in the Gatineau's. Easy drive to get near but often hard to get on... but when I do it is well worth it! Big hungry Pike, Big hungry Bass. Beautiful country as well!

Rod
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Big Rideau Lake, there's pretty much every species you could dream of in the lake.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

BradGuenette wrote:Big Rideau Lake, there's pretty much every species you could dream of in the lake.
Any decent muskies in Big Rideau?

I fish the Rideau River a lot. Probably my favorite river. As for lake... any number of interior camping lakes in Algonquin park. In that environment, fishing is 'almost' secondary.
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

This is tough.

Larry - Quality Fish and bunch of different species to fish. plus the clear water is nice. But the weather can get nasty out there

Rideau River . Love this place, minimal boat traffic(weeknights only), water is pretty calm, lots of fish to be caught. it one of those bodies of water when you get bit it could be pike, largemouth, smallmouth, musky or walleye.

Muskrat - Fished this for the first time last year through OVSB and was hooked. Ended up going back a few more times. There are some big fish in that lake
- Rick Ozga
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I think I'll be there a few times this year as well.

It was gorgeous. I'm hoping to see it before the algae bloom happens this year.
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

Fave Lake is the lake the family cottage is on. More pike in this lake then I have seen anywhere. Average day ob the watter for 4 hrs with 2 in a boat, would see 80 pike in the boat. Unfortunately they are normally 2-5 lbs with the odd 6-9 lb thrown in. Not always about the size just nice to get out with the family and smash a pile of fish.

The ottawa River. I fish from a kayak 90% of the time and the ottawa is the perfect place for this. Tones of monster species and tones of fish.
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

For me the answer is real easy. It's Lake Kipawa. There's just something about the beauty and vast expanse of this watershed that draws you in deeper and deeper the more time you spend there. It really is a piece of paradise, just ask all the Americans who travel great distances to sometimes come up twice a season. It's one of those places you don't want to leave. After a week there you want to stay another and just forget about the rest of the world.It's real easy to do up there.

The first two years I went I camped for a week using a 12ft tinny and a 6hp, which made for a long 10 mile run to the camp site. On windy days it was rough on the big water to be sure. Then I graduated to a 14 ft and 20hp.Then we stayed for a few years at Corbeau Lodge, which is now owned by Eric Lindros. Mostly we stayed at Alwaki Lodge, a 14 mile boat trip. Some years we had 12 guys and 3 cabins, which made for some great partying too. We went to Temagami for a few years too but ended up back in Kipawa, the call is just that strong.

Most of the fishing is for Lakers and Walleye, but there is also Pike and the north end now boasts a real healthy population of Smallies.

This watershed is huge, with countless islands, bays and narrows. Some real neat chutes too and some native villages. It actually consists of at least 8 named lakes. The water is deep and cold, it's all rocky with no weeds for the most part. Apart from the lodges on the lake, there is the odd cottage but mostly you see no signs of civilization. Many of the lodges are boat access only, one of the 5 star ones is 23 miles from Kipawa.

Here's a map of the lake. To give you an idea of the size, the track I drew in from Kipawa to Alwaki Lodge is 14 miles.

A birds eye view.

Around here about the closest lake I could compare it to would be Charleston, but in a small way and much busier. It's still my favorite "local" lake to fish for Lakers by far.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

For favourite river id have to say st.lawrence, it's where I learned to fish, and it rarely disapoints no matter what time of year, and I've even had a suprise brown trout out of prescott/maitland area..

Favorite lake would likely be charelston, have always liked fishing for trout in the morning with downriggers and then leaving the downriggers on and bringing them up to 30' for a few places I know that hold smallmouth, fun watchin the rods go off for bass
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

smitty55 wrote:For me the answer is real easy. It's Lake Kipawa. There's just something about the beauty and vast expanse of this watershed that draws you in deeper and deeper the more time you spend there. It really is a piece of paradise, just ask all the Americans who travel great distances to sometimes come up twice a season. It's one of those places you don't want to leave. After a week there you want to stay another and just forget about the rest of the world.It's real easy to do up there.

The first two years I went I camped for a week using a 12ft tinny and a 6hp, which made for a long 10 mile run to the camp site. On windy days it was rough on the big water to be sure. Then I graduated to a 14 ft and 20hp.Then we stayed for a few years at Corbeau Lodge, which is now owned by Eric Lindros. Mostly we stayed at Alwaki Lodge, a 14 mile boat trip. Some years we had 12 guys and 3 cabins, which made for some great partying too. We went to Temagami for a few years too but ended up back in Kipawa, the call is just that strong.

Most of the fishing is for Lakers and Walleye, but there is also Pike and the north end now boasts a real healthy population of Smallies.

This watershed is huge, with countless islands, bays and narrows. Some real neat chutes too and some native villages. It actually consists of at least 8 named lakes. The water is deep and cold, it's all rocky with no weeds for the most part. Apart from the lodges on the lake, there is the odd cottage but mostly you see no signs of civilization. Many of the lodges are boat access only, one of the 5 star ones is 23 miles from Kipawa.

Here's a map of the lake. To give you an idea of the size, the track I drew in from Kipawa to Alwaki Lodge is 14 miles.

A birds eye view.

Around here about the closest lake I could compare it to would be Charleston, but in a small way and much busier. It's still my favorite "local" lake to fish for Lakers by far.

Cheers
Beautiful I'll admit But the fishing SUCKED the one time I was there .... even with experianced guys :cry: :cry: :cry:
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

My favourite river would be the Rideau river because theres always some good bass to be caught. Even from shore along with pike walleyes and musky.
Also the Nation river from Casselman to Crysler because its in my area and you just never know what you could get. From walleye pike bass catfish perch and the list goes on and theres musky below the Casselman dam also.

As for the Lake I would say Big Rideau because its a great lake to fsih for bass and on the 3 tournament I did on that lake I finish in the top 5 each time and Muskrat would come close 2nd fish 2 OVSB tourney of that Lake and I both finish in top 5 and its a nice lake to fish.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Bear wrote: Beautiful I'll admit But the fishing SUCKED the one time I was there .... even with experianced guys :cry: :cry: :cry:
That's a shame. But that's fishing sometimes. Where did you fish out of?
I can only think of one trip, my last and only one down to the far south end at Red Pine Chute in an old run down camp. It was totally new water for us all to learn. Walleye was spotty, with only one 7 lb over 5. We ended up having to travel a long way to find laker friendly waters that we knew from having fished from the "hub" area for all those years.

It's been over ten years since I visited. :( I still follow the Kipawa forums the odd time and fishing still seems good. The only member here I know of that still goes there I think is Scuro. He'd have a better idea of what the fishing is like now.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter