Ice Reports 2016

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ice Reports 2016

Post by CCLad »

Well fellow Hawker`s, the time is finally getting close. Looking at the long range forecast I`m guessing Shirley`s bay will probably be fishable (By that I mean Tow the hut out with a sled) the last week of Jan or maybe a bit sooner. I added this type of thread last year as well and it was quite handy to look up ice reports.

If you are out on a body of water, post the location (don`t have to give any secret spots away....) and Ice thickness to share the info with the community. It`s good to know as well as promotes safety to a degree.

Rob, Can you make this thread a sticky?

Cheers, looking forward to getting out in my hut, Tim.
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Ice Reports 2016

Post by RyanW »

---
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

That's pretty exciting! I might try to get my hut on the ice sunday then!

Anyone going to try towing one out by atv or skidoo? I don't have a skidoo or atv, and i don't think it will be safe for my truck yet!!!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

scarkner wrote:That's pretty exciting! I might try to get my hut on the ice sunday then!

Anyone going to try towing one out by atv or skidoo? I don't have a skidoo or atv, and i don't think it will be safe for my truck yet!!!

Lol check pm

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

There were a few portable huts out on Muskrat yesterday and some ATV and snowmo tracks close to the shorelines.
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
rex.stpierre
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rex.stpierre »

beachburger wrote:There were a few portable huts out on Muskrat yesterday and some ATV and snowmo tracks close to the shorelines.
Were the huts over 80-120 feet of water or are you talking about a shallow bay you are familiar with?
This year I spent most of my money on beer, women and fishing...the rest I wasted.
Wallybanger10
Participant
Participant

Post by Wallybanger10 »

Thanks for the updates gentlemen. I am new to Fish-Hawk and new to ice fishing as well.. just got into it last year at the end of the season unfortunately. This year I have all of the gear and have been itching to get out there! I live in Kanata so this sounds very convenient for me... any recommendations on where to grab minnows in the area?

Thanks in advance!
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

Wallybanger10 wrote:Thanks for the updates gentlemen. I am new to Fish-Hawk and new to ice fishing as well.. just got into it last year at the end of the season unfortunately. This year I have all of the gear and have been itching to get out there! I live in Kanata so this sounds very convenient for me... any recommendations on where to grab minnows in the area?

Thanks in advance!
I think the closest might be Baitcasters in Carleton Place.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

rex.stpierre wrote:Were the huts over 80-120 feet of water or are you talking about a shallow bay you are familiar with?
I'm not familiar with any shallow bays on Muskrat..... :D :lol:

There were a couple in the bay by the launch and a couple of huts that looked to be on the dropoffs in the usual spots further up the lake. I suspect more will be popping up this weekend.
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
AuldAnglerSyne
Participant
Participant

Post by AuldAnglerSyne »

Thanks for the update, beachburger. I'll be up on Muskrat Lake the last weekend this month and was a little worried about the ice. I'll probably 'check-in' on this post & ask for another update closer to the date.
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

Be careful on Muskrat...This looking across at hydro bay still open water over there yet and only three inches on this side
Image Click on the pic to enlarge

Pic was taken on Sat Jan 16
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Just a heads up regarding Shirleys bay... Lots have posted 10 - 12" of ice out in front of the launch. We put up our hut Sun, we are the big 12x8 shack - We are sitting on 5-6"s of ice were we are..... Use caution.
jshow89
Participant
Participant

Post by jshow89 »

Has anyone been on the ice kemptville yet? I haven't been out to see if the huts are starting to pop up
AuldAnglerSyne
Participant
Participant

Post by AuldAnglerSyne »

Good Muskrat update, Haulin Bass. Very much appreciated. I'll be checking in quite a bit over the next couple of weeks. Would appreciate any ice updates that can be provided.
Wallybanger10
Participant
Participant

Post by Wallybanger10 »

Post by CCLad » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:14 pm

Just a heads up regarding Shirleys bay... Lots have posted 10 - 12" of ice out in front of the launch. We put up our hut Sun, we are the big 12x8 shack - We are sitting on 5-6"s of ice were we are..... Use caution.
What's the water depth out where your shack is CCLad? I haven't ventured out that far yet but have been getting about 9 inches of ice consistently and only about 8ft of water (estimate).