Long Island Ice report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jair
Participant
Participant

Long Island Ice report

Post by Jair »

Did some recon this am at Long Island locks.

Shoreline was a tad messy but got out about 5 yards and all seemed solid.

Frozen all the way up to Long Island point.

Didn't have a chisel or my auger to check thickness but will do so 2mrw and update.

Cheers
BC FD
Participant
Participant

Re: Long Island Ice report

Post by BC FD »

Please stay off of the rivers and lakes for a few more days. Ottawa Fire has already picked a few people and a couple of dogs out of local rivers. It won't kill you to stay off, but might kill you if you go on. With the couple of cold nights people are going to get braver but the forcast for later on this week is above 0. That being said, if there is a little ice now ,the warm weather is not going to make rivers and lakes any better. Every year we loose a few folks who thought they were out on safe ice. Safe ice takes more than a couple of cold days. If it is not clear and look to be 6" thick you should not be out there. Response times for water rescue crews are higher than normal response times due to the gear required to go out on the ice.
Mitch.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Well said Mitch. Specially with this snow cover to slow down the freezing. All it will take is a little current area or a small spring and there could only be an inch of ice. I wouldn't be in a rush.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Jair
Participant
Participant

Post by Jair »

Appreciate the concern, Long Island is very still water on the lower side and has had ice forming on it since Dec 26th.
Would not venture on if I did not think it was safe enough to. it freezes up quick there.

Cheers, Jeremy
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/on-118_metric_e.html

Not looking great for ice. El Nino year will bring warm temps all season :)
BC FD
Participant
Participant

Post by BC FD »

Just finished watching local news. I guess I need to go out and buy a new Oxford dictionary. Apparently my definition of closed and two snowmobilers definition of closed are vastly different. OFSC and OPP have been asking (telling?) people to stay off snowmobile trails because they are not safe. Let's see.25 cm of insulating snow. Two nights of -25 temps, two days -15, next day(yesterday) +2 bright sunshine. I have an idea. Lets drive our snowmobiles through a swamp at 10pm. Now when we go through the ice, we'll call 911. They will send 3 part time fire stations, 1 full time station , a Sector Chief, probrably a Police Sargeant and a couple or more police cruisers. An ambulance and a Paremedic supervisor. I'm sure that there is someone I am forgetting. On the bright side, they were rescued and only were cold and wet. Our tax dollars at work.
I'm don't know what else to say other than WTF! I was told by a Fire Chief once. Firefighters, Police and Paremedics will never be out of work, because 'YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE STUPIDITY'.
Please use your head for something other than a place to store you snowmobile helmet when you are out riding.
I apologize for my rant but some people just PP me off. I am not against snowmobiling ,I have an XC 600.
It is looking like 20mm of rain this weekend. If you have plans for outdoor activities please take this and plus 4 and 5 temps into account.
As always have fun fishing
Mitch
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by zeke13 »

BC FD wrote:... I was told by a Fire Chief once. Firefighters, Police and Paremedics will never be out of work, because 'YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE STUPIDITY'.
Classic line ... by all means, rant away .. if it dissuades even one person from making a bad decision, it was worth it!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

After all

Its only fish!

Everyone will have plenty of time to safely use their flasher and auger....

Relax! Go do something else till the ice really freezes.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Jair provides a ice report more a visual report than anything & all the sudden guys are asking folks to stay off the ice & another stating probably won't be ice lol... I never check ice with out a spud & floater suit, be safe out there man. I've been on the ice twice already Tuesday & Friday there was at least 4" of clear black ice.
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!