There are still fish to be caught...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

There are still fish to be caught...

Post by Peron »

Had the afternoon off and work stress made it necessary for me to fish for the spare hour I had! My new ice fishing minnow setup works well (2 weeks and after a initial purchase of 2 dozen medium large suckers and minors I only had two dead minnows with 8 still going strong). I took my bait and headed out to a local Ottawa river shore location.

Wasn't expecting much, maybe a little Pike, so I dropped my bait about 4 feet below a float and let it loose about 20 feet from shore at a natural bend. Nothing for 45 minutes and then my bobber started doing the Jaws thing along the surface. Set the hook and I had the best cold water fight in a while only to lose what must have been a nice OOS musky or a very large pike about 15 feet from shore. Tackle intact minus the bait which always makes me happy.

Downside: my work stress is now replaced by fish stress since I won't be able to get out again for about a week. I know that once the ice starts to form it could be a while before I get to fish again if it is a slow freeze.

Get out there... but dress warm!

Rod
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: There are still fish to be caught...

Post by zippyfx »

Nice! Glad your still hitting the shore.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I have the itch too and your story is inspiring... with warm weather around xmas I might get out a bit myself!
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

I have been out a couple times for an evening fish and have been successful for walleye fishing on a rock edge with a jig head and gulp leeches.
I wish I could get away for another evening out before Christmas but it appears I will have to wait until the weekend now.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

It's been busy with Christmas prep the past couple of weeks but the 10 year old nephew is coming to town in a couple of days.... All I need is him to ask if I could take him fishing then my wife won't shoot me the look of (festive season) death.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Im planning on fishing tomorrow... never ever been out shore fishing this late in the year I am pumped up! Supposed to be around 16 degrees, picked about 20 or 25 worms for bait I am ready to go! If I get anything I will make a report for sure guys,
merry christmas to all :) :) :)