Favourite "non-fishing gear?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Favourite "non-fishing gear?

Post by Peron »

I was putting away some summer fishing gear and I started thinking about my favourite, all-time, non-fishing gear for fishing. Things I bring with me every time I am fishing and would really, really, really miss if I did not have them. Here are my top three in order. I am leaving out the truly essential things like bug spray, sunscreen, lifejackets etc.:

1) Multi-tool. Some will argue that "it is" a fishing tool but I use mine everywhere and all the time. The world would be a sadder place if they had not been invented.

2) Polarized sun glass lenses. Try a cheap pair that is not and tell me this is not a top three item!

3) Waterproof smart-phone case. Yes, you could say smart phone is in the top three however that would have been my least favourite thing to have with me given the number of times mine has been slimed, scaled, dropped in the mud, dropped in the water etc. Etc. I love my tide apps, weather apps, navionics app, gps not to mention the camera but all useless when immersed. I assume if you have one you bring it with you regardless. An honourable mention goes to my Lifeproof Lifejacket which is a really nice add on that I use when I am off the shore for buoyancy.

I am interested to know if someone has a top three non-fishing item not in my list that I might be interested in on my birthday. :D

Rod
BobbyJordan
Participant
Participant

Re: Favourite "non-fishing gear?

Post by BobbyJordan »

Good rain gear! If you can't always pick the days you spend on the water it's worth the investment to get a good pair of bibs and a jacket. I have a Frabill F3Gale. I think it was about 400 bucks and I have never said - man I wish I didn't spend that much!
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

That is an "Excellent" idea and a good pick. I have a flotation suit for winter (late fall/ winter / early spring) but my normal rain gear is the random pieces kind (mixed rain paints and coat). Always generating leaks! First response and I think I have my birthday gift in mind. The Navy Frabill looks quite nice although I am sure I can spend many hours downtime in the next few months looking for the right one ( I am born in January). :lol:

Thanks Bobby,

Rod
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

1. Smart Phone. Radar app has saved my butt more than a few times.

2. Spot lock on my Minn Kota. Maybe the greatest innovation in marine technology in the last 10 years or more. Love it.

3. Diet Pepsi... :lol:

RJ
badbass72
Participant
Participant

Post by badbass72 »

Diet Pepsi??? Who let that wierdo on here? Rain gear is an excellent choice although I'd still have to remember to pack it. That first cold wet day of the Renegade Classic this year with no Jacket or rain gear was the end of my whole weekend. Hope to never make that mistake again.
Thanks to all my sponsors: Urban Ford, Urban Sport, Quick Lane Auto Care, Quantum, Strike King, Gourley's Outdoors, Goldwing Automotive, Amsoil, Canadian Tire Renfrew and Demonic Custom Tackle
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Nothing wrong with Diet pepsi. There are at least two can in my boat at all times.

I will second spot lock, rain gear ( Love my 100MPH suit), Polarized sunglasses and waterproof case.

The only other item I would throw on the list is that I bought some compressed towels at paddletales this year. They come in handy for everything and take up no room at all.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Compressed towels eh? I have eyeballed them in the past but I never picked them up because I always questioned their absorbency and I also assumed that once open they are pretty much disposable after use. I may reconsider if the absorbency is good. I knicked my hand on an auger last winter and it was sort of Monty-Pythonish. :shock: A really nice handy pocket stored towel would have saved me a lot of washing.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Oooo! Oooo! I have another one! At night substitute Polarized sunglasses with head-lamps. Another "world's-greatest" invention.
I used to have one of this so called hands-free style when I was young.... not very practical and hands-free only until it fell off your clothes into the water at which point both hands were in use. On the bright side it had a red light if you unscrewed the cover and put in the red lens..... :lol:
WW2-English-Made1.jpg
WW2-English-Made1.jpg (53.31 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I second the headlamp.... Most of my fishing this year was at night and this is indispensable.

Peron, I have not seen one of those flashlight since my days in the militia... A long time ago!

Another thing I use for shore fishing is a bandoleer style fishing pack (I currently have an Orvis).... I like this because it's hands free. This allows me to wade up to my navel in the summer and I find it's a lot easier to work with than a tackle box or bag. I try to travel light and pack it with specific gear I need for specific species.

I also have a worm case that clips to my belt....
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Maybe not on your want list and a bit to add but some of the things I always have with me include..

Waterproof plano box - Can't tell you how many times this has come in handy. When it rains it pours and protecting electronics, wallets and car keys from the rain is super important. Its nice to know your stuff is safe and all in one place. Rain or not I put everything into my floating waterproof plano box when heading out in the boat. I load it with extra scale batteries, tape, a few small tools and loads more.

Portable external battery pack to charge phones or anything really. Even if you have a boat and access to 12v this can still be a saviour as you can use it to fully charge anything from cell phones, cameras, vaporizers and e-cigs to pretty much any gadget you would take with you on a trip. Mine can fully charge an IPhone twice.

Optic lens cleaner is another piece of gear I always have with me, the difference between a clean and dirty pair of polarized shades is like night and day and a good way to take care of your eyewear investment if sporting quality shades. Mines always kept in the waterproof plano 8)

A good Thermos. Nothing beats a warm beverage on a cold or miserable day.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

A lighter or matches, especially this time of year. Always good to have when backwoods fishing. Can make a fire to warm up, dry off, cook or even to kill time when shore fishing. Plus if you get stuck out there for whatever reason it's now just camping!! Headlamps for sure too and a waterproof Plano box is a good idea for a leaky tinner like mine.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Tip-up wrote:A good Thermos. Nothing beats a warm beverage on a cold or miserable day.
Any suggestions>?
I need one.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

- Snowboard goggles - great for rainy days on the boat. They keep the water out of your eyes on the longer runs. And on cold days they're invaluable on the ice. Those windy run-and-gun days, they hardly ever come off my face. And they're polorized, so yay!

- a towel snapped to your hip. I'm addicted. Sun, rain, or snow. I hate to fish without one. To dry your hands, dab your brow, or to get you out of a pinch (IE:Slimy bullfrog who decided to take a 'taste' of your plastic frog.. couldn't have held on to that sucker without it

- This one is gonna be silly, but snowshoes for ice fishing.... not huge ones, but the smaller ones that are meant for packed snow. The metal teeth under the ball of your foot keeps you upright no matter how wind-swept or icy the snow is. They keep you up on wet snow - so less work walking, and same goes for walking in the drifting snow, so you don't know what you're getting into. They also keep your foot up and off the ice/snow a bit so I find my feet are never cold. I got so used to having mine on that I rarely take these off when ice fishing. No more are they worn just to get from truck to spot. I've even mastered get into and out of the tent with them on. Tho.. i've been known to take the odd faceplant, but at least that's good for a laugh.. right? :geek:
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

I wasn't even thinking about ice fishing but you triggered my top three ice-fishing list of non- fishing items (Tia I think?):

1). Like you... Ski goggles. Mine never come off in the winter. Here is my junior assistant illustrating:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (201.36 KiB) Viewed 4735 times
2). Not silly at all. Snowshoes. I hiked out early one day only to encounter a "softer" snow pack on the way home. 20 minutes out and 200 back (give or take). They will never leave my side again but I must admit I tramp down the snow where I fish... I would be face planting every minute if I wore them around my holes.

3) Snowmobile "mitts". They are huge, warm, come off and on in a second and you can even wear light "gloves" underneath when you need finger use.

If anyone has any good waterproof gloves (I have gone through two pairs of cheap neoprenes last season) that they can recommend I will definitely add them to my Christmas list.

Rod
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

Call it a "non-fishing" tool or a fishing tool but the Boomerang tool is a must in my books.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Boomeran ... BOOMS.html

Available locally at Paddletales FYI.