Found them!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Found them!!!

Post by CyrusG »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yesterday was a slay fest, My bro and I released easily over 20 rainbows 12-14 inches long and kept a total of 9, 6 of them wouldn't have made it, after keeping 3 big ones within the first 10 min we realized the action was going to be too insane so we started releasing the ones that weren't hooked deep. After years of fishing for bows having those days spending hours at a lake only to get skunked it was almost unreal to hook into so many big bows in one day. I beat my personal best by about half an inch, lost a beast boat side that snapped my line clean off. We had many double headers, and my bro out fished me on the fly! It was a day i'll never forget. :D

Cy
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Found them!!!

Post by Oneeleven »

Yum! Look at the size of the filet! Nice job 8-)
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Way to go guys. You hit the magic time. It's such a great feeling when it happens. Nice looking fish. Gotta love pan fried fresh whole trout.

I'm curious as to what time of day they were hitting? Trout lakes can be so fickle, as you're finding out. Even a great lake can seem dead at the wrong time of the day.

Congrats again. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

That's wild. If I had to bet those fish were stocked that size and recently. Great fishin!

RJ
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

From the lake to the plate! What a great day out. Congrats on the pb! And pretty neat your bro caught it on the fly.
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

RJ wrote:That's wild. If I had to bet those fish were stocked that size and recently. Great fishin!

RJ
I would guess the same, fairly fresh stockers. Usually the fresh stockers are the most agressive, they will hit anything that's in front of them.
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Great action for ya dude, way to go!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

It beats going to the grocery store for sure :mrgreen:
Cy
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

That's wild fishing for bows.

Something in the air man! My buddy Mike this past weekend nailed over 30 specks on his own and nearly caught a PB. One of his best outings ever. Funny the timing, because you certainly did put a real pound on 'em too.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Troutskiii wrote:
RJ wrote:That's wild. If I had to bet those fish were stocked that size and recently. Great fishin!

RJ
I would guess the same, fairly fresh stockers. Usually the fresh stockers are the most agressive, they will hit anything that's in front of them.

Guys you may well know something I don't. I totally agree about fresh stockers being aggressive, and they tend to be still schooled up for a while after stocking, which makes them even easier to catch when you locate them. But I can't remember the last time I ever even heard of the ministry stocking 12-14" trout anymore in our "local" back lakes. I'm not sure of the growth rate at the hatcheries, but a 14' Bow has to be close to 2 years old I would think. I can recall being at Kirkhams Lake back in the 80's when the ministry came in to stock Rainbows and they were all around 6".

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

NICE!!
tmacinc
Participant
Participant

Post by tmacinc »

smitty55 wrote:
Troutskiii wrote:

RJ

Guys you may well know something I don't. I totally agree about fresh stockers being aggressive, and they tend to be still schooled up for a while after stocking, which makes them even easier to catch when you locate them. But I can't remember the last time I ever even heard of the ministry stocking 12-14" trout anymore in our "local" back lakes. I'm not sure of the growth rate at the hatcheries, but a 14' Bow has to be close to 2 years old I would think. I can recall being at Kirkhams Lake back in the 80's when the ministry came in to stock Rainbows and they were all around 6".

Cheers

The ministry regularly stocks adults in some lakes at different intervals. They typically stock a lot more yearlings but will stock adults every few years in lakes that get hit hard to help diversify the population. Have a look at the stocking lists and you'll notice they list either yearlings and adults.

Tom
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Very nice! Hard to beat days like that!!

I would also find it strange the MNR stocking rainbow trout at 12-14''. When adults are stocked they are brook trout. Hard to say since there all the same size in the photo. Did you release any that were bigger or smaller than those posted?

Either way, nice fish!
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

There was a mix of 11-15 inch trout, along with a few huge ones. Wait until you see the stocking list at the end of the year, some of you may be surprised. :lol:
Cy
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Nice haul of bows fellas!