Peterwhite Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
loophole
Participant
Participant

Peterwhite Lake

Post by loophole »

I'm sure I have read some posts in this site about Peterwhite Lake off Hwy 511 past Tatlock Rd, but I just did a search on the name and came up empty. Perhaps the previous posts are too old and are no longer available to read. The MNR has been putting Brookies in Peterwhite for many years. I've tried getting into the lake but the only access points are over private lands so that is out. One fellow from the MNR told me to I could use the Hydro corridor but Hydro tells me that the corridor too is on private land and therefore a no-go. The same MNR person told me that they stock Peterwhite using a helicopter. Unless someone from the MNR (or anyone else for that matter) can tell me how to get to the lake legally, it appears that the Ministry is stocking a lake (using our tax dollars) for the sole benefit of the 4 or 5 people who own cottages on the lake. In my view that has to stop. If you agree that the MNR should not be stocking a lake that the public cannot get to without walking through 10 or 15 kms of wilderness then please contact someone at the Ministry and let them know. Otherwise they have no incentive to stop doing it. I have attached a private land/crown land map for reference purposes. Thanks for your help and please post the names and titles of anyone in the Ontario gov't you think folks should complain to.
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Peterwhite Lake

Post by Cyber »

Tons of people 4-Wheel on that Hydro line all the time,
maybe it is 'private property', but I've never heard of
anyone being charged with trespassing! :? :?
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

As you can see from the map you posted using the maps legend, there is private land on the one side but the other area is classified as general use, where the hydro line passes it is crown land. I fish the lake most winters and have never had an issue.

Majority of lakes in calabogie and ompah are stocked by chopper except for a few of the ones they stock with pickerel, those they use the big barrel and jet pump.

I have had runs in with a few camp owners who have land leases, I won't mention the name of this particular lake but its got an old MNR land lease camp on it and its stocked yearly. I have family and good friends with similar camps on leased land.The problem is these old guys think they own the lake, once I explained myself and they figured out I knew my stuff they laid off, I also mentioned a few old timers in the area I knew and they looked at each other and basically said ohhhhhh, go ahead fish the lake.

I appreciate the fact that they take good care of the area and are protective of the lake but in the end its open to anyone who has a fishing license and pays there yearly fee.
Houner
Participant
Participant

Post by Houner »

I've fished Peterwhite in the past, and carried my canoe and gear down the hydro corridor to the far end of the lake, so as to not trespass on the cottagers properties. With a house full of young kids, I don't get out to fish these lakes as much as some of the other posters to this site, so I haven't experienced the wrath of the entitled cottage owner like many others have. However, I'd like to be prepared to present the correct information about land title, lake access and such if I was confronted. Could someone direct me to internet sites where I could find info on land title, access to public lands, lake access, etc? Being able to confidently state your rights and reference applicable legislation goes a long way to educating cottagers and diffusing potentially difficult situations.

On a different note, I was up to Peterwhite a couple of years ago, and was really disappointed with all the garbage and broken beer bottles up there. I'm all for having a couple of beverages of your choice while camping, but this was disgraceful. With abuse like that, its no wonder the cottagers take it upon themselves to try to keep people out.
loophole
Participant
Participant

Post by loophole »

Troutskill, I'm sorry but you are evidently reading the map incorrectly. The hydro corridor is clearly on private and, not crown land. The reason I searched Fish-Hawk before posting my note was that I distinctly recall reading a post in here that the owner of the land routinely checks for trespassers. I'll look again in case I did something wrong.

Here is the link to the map. Check the colour coding for yourself.

http://www.ontario.ca/page/crown-land-use-policy-atlas

Anyone who uses the corridor is trespassing on private property and the Ministry is stocking a lake that is for all intents and purposes, private. Unless someone can tell us where we are allowed to get into the lake, I am not pleased that my tax dollars are being used.
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Another issue is that there is nowhere to park in the winter. If there is a snow storm and you're parked on the side of the highway, you will be ticketed.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

The BIGGEST issue is the brown trout that swim in that lake and their bad case of lock jaw.
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

loophole wrote:Troutskill, I'm sorry but you are evidently reading the map incorrectly. The hydro corridor is clearly on private and, not crown land. The reason I searched Fish-Hawk before posting my note was that I distinctly recall reading a post in here that the owner of the land routinely checks for trespassers. I'll look again in case I did something wrong.

Here is the link to the map. Check the colour coding for yourself.

http://www.ontario.ca/page/crown-land-use-policy-atlas

Anyone who uses the corridor is trespassing on private property and the Ministry is stocking a lake that is for all intents and purposes, private. Unless someone can tell us where we are allowed to get into the lake, I am not pleased that my tax dollars are being used.
Guess it depends what direction your coming from, the trail I use in the winter by snowmobile isn't on private land I know that much, I have lots of friends in the area that clarify that.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Loophole the whole north end of the lake is on crown land with plenty of access from the 6th of Darling end. I first fished that lake in the 70's when we used to access it off the cottage road and drive right on the lake. That hydro corridor off of 511 has always been used by the public without issues, even though technically it's not crown. So i wouldn't worry at all about going in off of 511. You can tell the trail sees lots of use. There are also tons of trails back that way off the Darling road and California rd too that go all over the place, including other lakes like Darling Long.
Jimmy_1 wrote:The BIGGEST issue is the brown trout that swim in that lake and their bad case of lock jaw.
btw Jimmy, there are no browns in there, you're thinking of a different lake bud.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Then what trout are in there? Specks?

I have been there on a few occasions. Walked the hill up the hydro line etc/
Only to get SKUNKED.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Then what trout are in there? Specks?

I have been there on a few occasions. Walked the hill up the hydro line etc/
Only to get SKUNKED.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

smitty55 wrote:Loophole the whole north end of the lake is on crown land with plenty of access from the 6th of Darling end. I first fished that lake in the 70's when we used to access it off the cottage road and drive right on the lake. That hydro corridor off of 511 has always been used by the public without issues, even though technically it's not crown. So i wouldn't worry at all about going in off of 511. You can tell the trail sees lots of use. There are also tons of trails back that way off the Darling road and California rd too that go all over the place, including other lakes like Darling Long.
Jimmy_1 wrote:The BIGGEST issue is the brown trout that swim in that lake and their bad case of lock jaw.
btw Jimmy, there are no browns in there, you're thinking of a different lake bud.

Cheers

Yes Jimmy is thinking of the one with the red gate and hotdog stand!! lol.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Lots of sunfish from what I recall haha
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

almontefisher wrote: Yes Jimmy is thinking of the one with the red gate and hotdog stand!! lol.
LMAO that's a good one Pete from way back when I got my first taste of some of the jokers on this site. Where oh where is Daner now?? :lol:
Jimmy_1 wrote:Then what trout are in there? Specks?
Yep, up to 3000 some years. Not many good shore fishing spots though.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
loophole
Participant
Participant

Post by loophole »

Almontefisher, is it possible that you are confusing Peterwhite Lake with Kates Lake? I've been to Kates and Duncs off the 6th Darling but it's quite a hike from there to Peterwhite.