Oh Joy Oh Joy

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Oh Joy Oh Joy

Post by Haulin Bass »

Fantastic!!!! For the third weekend in a row the recreational angler gets to enjoy the roar of high hp motors the non stop waves in the lake, crowded fishing spots and plugged full boat launch all thanks to the never ending bass tournaments. The real thrill of these tournaments for me is watching the onslaught of boats screaming towards you at high speed hitting the wakes of the other boats and flying by you 20 yards away.. what a thrill. I will repeat what I have mentioned in posts before. I am not against tournaments but they should be more strictly regulated with a max # in one lake per season or month for that matter. If you look at the results posted from the clubs, add up the number of fish that have been removed from there habitat and stressed to a certain degree. It only seems to get worse every year. My Annual rant.. :roll: Oh and by the way some of you tournament people could have a little more concern where you have to pass close to another boat and slow the #$!* down !!!!
swampdonkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Oh Joy Oh Joy

Post by swampdonkey »

Not to cause disrespect or to offend you but to me it seems you've had encounters that are rare, for the most part all anglers who fish at a professional level or semi professional level have a sense of sportsmanship to anglers as well as other boaters! I know speaking from experience for example the Rideau river system has a narrow channel and for the most part other fisherman or boaters like to either fish or sit in the channel! Us anglers can't really run anywhere else but the channel! And on bodies of water, take off is a whole mess of chaos that we race more so to get ahead of the pack to keep from getting thrown around by the other boats wake
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Edited for content.

All I will say is nice broad, sweeping statements against all tournament anglers.

:roll:
Last edited by Oneeleven on Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

How's any bassboat tournament competitor different from the crazy amount of wakeboard boats that fly by you and leave a 4 foot wake?
Or a 30+ foot Yatch on plane zigzagging on the rideau? Those things don't stop very quickly...

Herds of Seadoos that travel all over the lake or those special ones that seem to want to put on a show, flipping and spinning in circles...

I was at Taylor Park ramp on the Rideau the other week, 5 boats were going up and down the same stretch, one was pulling a wakeboarder and seadoos following WAY TOO CLOSE...

Seems anywhere you go you'll be confronted by a boater that will upset you in one way or another..

And as for fish care.. You'll find that a lot of series and tournament guys take very good care of their catch and if some of them were to die they don't go to waste.
We aren't talking about a chain dangling on the side of the boat..

I could go on and on here ...
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
swampdonkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by swampdonkey »

I agree with both of you! You can't claim that every tournament angler is a bad egg ! And Shawn is absolutely right, those yachts that run up the middle of the channel without worry, some of their wakes can swamp a number of watercraft! And nothing against wake boarders but it seems like they have a grudge against bass boats!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Where are you fishing that there has been a tournament 3 weeks in a row? Or are you travelling to other lakes and just so happen to be picking areas that have tournaments on it every weekend.

I tend to agree with Swampdonkey but would add 20 yards is respectable in some areas and terrible in others. Where were you fishing that this happened? I mean 20 yards on many spots in the Rideau is respectable while 20 yards on the st Lawrence would be a little ridiculous.

As for the max number of tournaments on any body of water, I don't necessarily have an issue with this but many of the tournament series have "off periods for certain areas after it has been fished so many times in so many years which is done to try and reduce the pressure you speak of.

In OVSB, we only leave a body of water on the list until it has been fished 2 times in so many years (other members may be able to clear up how many years). An example would be the Madawaska head pond. We fished it this year for the second time in two years. Next season, the head pond will not be on our list of bodies of water we can vote on to fish. Many other tournament series have similar rules (BAA and Renegade I believe) which are in place to help negate some of the issues you are ranting about.

I could go on, but I don't think it will go anywhere and I would like to read your response before going any further.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

lape0019 wrote: Next season, the head pond will not be on our list of bodies of water we can vote on to fish. .
And thank god for that! :lol: :lol:
swampdonkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by swampdonkey »

Oneeleven wrote:
lape0019 wrote: Next season, the head pond will not be on our list of bodies of water we can vote on to fish. .
Why does everyone hate that place? My smallies honey holes are there ;)
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

swampdonkey wrote:
Oneeleven wrote:
Why does everyone hate that place? My smallies honey holes are there ;)
Sweeettt! PM your spots, m-kayyy!???
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

Well....the shootout series is on the Mississippi this weekend. Last weekend Renegade was there. So that is roughly 140 or so boats. Plus prefish. 5 bass per boat is 700 fish displaced from their habitat.

I am fishing the shootout event this weekend. Knowing Renegade was there last weekend I did some research on bass returning to their habitat.

Bottom line is that regardless of how respectful tourney anglers may be it is difficult to assert that the events don't disrupt the fish population and the tranquility of the environment.

The 2 local lakes that are probably most impacted by this are the Miss and Muskrat.
Fishing Rod
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishing Rod »

As with many groups, it only takes a few bad apples to make everyone look bad. It's great to see them trying to regulate themselves before others do it for them.

At the end of the day tournaments (and everyone else on the water) are here to stay and we all just have to learn play together.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Well said.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Haulin Bass wrote:Fantastic!!!! For the third weekend in a row the recreational angler gets to enjoy the roar of high hp motors the non stop waves in the lake, crowded fishing spots and plugged full boat launch all thanks to the never ending bass tournaments. The real thrill of these tournaments for me is watching the onslaught of boats screaming towards you at high speed hitting the wakes of the other boats and flying by you 20 yards away.. what a thrill.
Not looking to rain on your joy parade, but please don't hold it against me if I don't wave at you while the boat catches air jumping them wakes! :D
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
swampdonkey
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by swampdonkey »

TheMaverick wrote:
Haulin Bass wrote:Fantastic!!!! For the third weekend in a row the recreational angler gets to enjoy the roar of high hp motors the non stop waves in the lake, crowded fishing spots and plugged full boat launch all thanks to the never ending bass tournaments. The real thrill of these tournaments for me is watching the onslaught of boats screaming towards you at high speed hitting the wakes of the other boats and flying by you 20 yards away.. what a thrill.
Not looking to rain on your joy parade, but please don't hold it against me if I don't wave at you while the boat catches air jumping them wakes! :D
LOL! Mise well do it with style huh?
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by zeke13 »

I would guess that "haulinbass" is likely talking about Mississippi as Mick is correct that Renegade was there both Saturday (series qualifier) and Sunday (ProAm) last weekend and the Shootout is there this weekend. I can't find a series that had a tournament there the long weekend but it was the long weekend which usually means additional boat traffic and probably a lot of anglers getting out to pre-fish for either the Renegade or Shootout events. Also given it's proximity to the city, and given that Mississippi is a great little fishery, it generally sees a lot of traffic, especially on a long weekend.

Of all the lakes in this area, and given it's relatively small size, it may be the hardest hit overall during the season ... the fact that it remains a great fishery is in no small part, a direct result of the great care that those that fish it are taking to ensure the fish's safe return to the water. Not withstanding the local lake associations and cottagers, I'm sure that the bass fishing associations aren't thrilled that tournaments are on back-to-back weekends on any lake and would prefer that there be at least a weekend of grace between tournaments, but the reality is that there are only so many weekends available within the summer months.

As for the rest, I have to agree with "OneEleven" (please don't tell her ;)) , those are pretty broad strokes as, in general, the fishermen I have met and compete with/against are very respectful of other boaters. But I'm guessing you probably knew the response you would likely get as the way that "rant" is worded is probably best suited for lake association message board and not this one ... but I always enjoy reading the reactions :)