Oh Joy Oh Joy

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Oh Joy Oh Joy

Post by Bass Addict »

I mean really ??....really ???

What about the Cabin Cruisers Cruising by at 10kms an hour creating TIDAL WAVES ?????????????????????
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

Wow seem to have touched a few nerves here. Thanks for all your input. Forums are a great way to express frustrations and hear other points of view.As far as I can see some have missed the point being that the tournaments need to be controlled so that some lakes are not pounded weekend after weekend causing frustration for the other people that would like to use the lake for recreational purposes. Here is another broad sweeping comment that does not contain the words ALL,Everyone, etc. MOST, SOME people I have talked too are not really thrilled at the sight of a tournament going on on the lake they intended to utilize for what ever purpose I think Shawn D expressed it perfectly.
ShawnD wrote:How's any bassboat tournament competitor different from the crazy amount of wakeboard boats that fly by you and leave a 4 foot wake?
Or a 30+ foot Yatch on plane zigzagging on the rideau? Those things don't stop very quickly...

Herds of Seadoos that travel all over the lake or those special ones that seem to want to put on a show, flipping and spinning in circles...
So improvements can be made, suggestions taken and looked at. Here is SOME to start
1) Shorten the hours and catch limit
2)Have the Clubs organize with the Municipality to post there tournaments on their web site page so the rest of us can watch or avoid
3) As I have said early regulate the number and frequency of tournaments on any given body of water, within reason of course I am not talking Lake O here.
4)To me it would be nice if the anglers put the weeds they collect in a garbage bag a and take with. I know they may provide cover for fish but do they really need more cover. SOMEBODY that has tried trolling after a tournament can attest to the mess left behind.
5)This is a stretch but The Jack Links Major League Fishing format has a lot to be desired. Fish are released instantly back to the same area.Could be a pain to set up and expensive but hey one less power pole a piece would do it.
TheMaverick wrote:
Haulin Bass wrote:Fantastic!!!! For the third weekend in a row the recreational angler gets to enjoy the roar of high hp motors the non stop waves in the lake, crowded fishing spots and plugged full boat launch all thanks to the never ending bass tournaments. The real thrill of these tournaments for me is watching the onslaught of boats screaming towards you at high speed hitting the wakes of the other boats and flying by you 20 yards away.. what a thrill.
TheMaverick wrote:
Haulin Bass wrote:Fantastic!!!! For the third weekend in a row the recreational angler gets to enjoy the roar of high hp motors the non stop waves in the lake, crowded fishing spots and plugged full boat launch all thanks to the never ending bass tournaments. The real thrill of these tournaments for me is watching the onslaught of boats screaming towards you at high speed hitting the wakes of the other boats and flying by you 20 yards away.. what a thrill.
Not looking to rain on your joy parade, but please don't hold it against me if I don't wave at you while the boat catches air jumping them wakes! :D
Please don't Haha although would make a nice pic and hit the horn a least so I can duck
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Haulin Bass wrote: 4)To me it would be nice if the anglers put the weeds they collect in a garbage bag a and take with. I know they may provide cover for fish but do they really need more cover. SOMEBODY that has tried trolling after a tournament can attest to the mess left behind.
Between all the sarcasm and entertaining responses, I'm not sure if you're serious anymore! :oops:
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

A lot of us are tournament anglers whether it be as a "Pro" or recreational level. As with most bodies of water, these are public lakes that cannot be regulated easily since no one really owns them other then the municipalities and considering that each one of these tournament anglers tend to spend money while in the municipality, I doubt they would want to turn them away.

Secondly, if you are able to type this on Fish-Hawk, you must know how to work a keyboard. What most people that care about this type of thing do is research when events will be happening on bodies of water they like to fish. Each club or series has a website that you can easily research yourself to find out who will be where. I personally could care less if there is a tournament on where I am fishing so I never check these things before leaving the house.I do know some who will stay away from lakes with tournaments that day so they check before they leave the house!

And last comment. If you posted this on a fishing forum where there is undoubtedly a healthy population of tournament anglers, you are kidding yourself thinking you would get any other answers than the ones listed here.
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

ShawnD wrote:How's any bassboat tournament competitor different from the crazy amount of wakeboard boats that fly by you and leave a 4 foot wake?
Or a 30+ foot Yatch on plane zigzagging on the rideau? Those things don't stop very quickly...

Herds of Seadoos that travel all over the lake or those special ones that seem to want to put on a show, flipping and spinning in circles...

I was at Taylor Park ramp on the Rideau the other week, 5 boats were going up and down the same stretch, one was pulling a wakeboarder and seadoos following WAY TOO CLOSE...
I agree get rid of them all ! lol but seriously I have no prob with the tournament guys or even the wake boats and skidoos; no one owns the lake. Does the traffic drive me nuts? Yup. Its why the summer is my least favourite season to fish.

What I do to avoid the madness:
1) check the local bass clubs websites and avoid the lakes on their tournament days. I dont see this as an inconvenience it gives me an excuse to try new water.
2)Get out early and get off the water early. Iam on the water at 5:30 which is before the crowds get out of bed. and I am done before noon.
3)bought a canoe this year. In the summer I hit a lot of lakes with small or no launches. Nice and quiet and again good way to get out of a rut and fish new water. Ive fished 7 new bodies of water this year so far.

And look at the bright side.... come late sept all those boats are gone.(well a few bassboats are left but the guys that stick around and freeze to death like the rest of us into Nov and Dec are ok in my books)
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

lape0019 wrote:

And last comment. If you posted this on a fishing forum where there is undoubtedly a healthy population of tournament anglers, you are kidding yourself thinking you would get any other answers than the ones listed here.

:bow-yellow: :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

You remind me of some of the land owners I've met...

The ones that get mad because someone just drove infront of their cottage like they own the water...
Or the ones with signs that read "If you are reading this you have no respect for privacy"
:lol: :lol:

You know that tournaments circuits need the permission of the municipality right???? If they're there it's because they got the OKAY ...
Lake Mississippi, The shootout series and Renegade Bass have to rent the land across the street for parking or else the event can't be held there.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Muskie23
Participant
Participant

Post by Muskie23 »

Seems to have hit a nerve, this topic....Can't disagree with many perspectives here, but let me offer mine.

Whatever happened to the concept of avoiding wake on another boat? Last weekend I was hit with every single type of boat's wake, except those pesky and useless little jetskis....LOL. Makes me wish there was regular police presence on the water, giving tickets just like for red-light-runners.

If bass boat tournaments are truly more respectful than other boats, then please address your own who are not. The scariest moment for me was when I was on the edge of weeds and a bassboat ripped by me at speed with about 10 feet to spare. Please think about adding consequences for wakes, close calls, unsafe speeds, to tournaments. If only for safety's sake and to protect the reputation. Suggest this occurs before there's a serious accident.

No, I have no other suggestion for all the other boaters. But they are not taking part in tournaments. Let's start with what is actually under our influence.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

ShawnD wrote:You remind me of some of the land owners I've met...

The ones that get mad because someone just drove infront of their cottage like they own the water...
Or the ones with signs that read "If you are reading this you have no respect for privacy"

You know that tournaments circuits need the permission of the municipality right???? If they're there it's because they got the OKAY ...
Lake Mississippi, The shootout series and Renegade Bass have to rent the land across the street for parking or else the event can't be held there.
That field/land is now privately owned and eventually will be developed into housing/condos... it's not a municipality approval that is required.
Tournaments could easily launch at Lake Park without any permission from the municipality, as stated earlier - lakes and waterways are crown property. It's the accesses to them that make them 'private' (can't get to it? then it's private as otherwise you are trespassing, unless you are lowered in by helicopter lol).

Just to correct you a bit.

But, regardless... I completely agree with 99% of the others in this post!
I've seen WAY more Sea-Doos and wakeboard boats with open alcohol, huge waves, dangerous driving, etc... than tournament anglers. Tournament anglers respect each other and respect the priviledge to use public waters. I cannot say the same about a near-majority of the wakeboard boats or sea-doos who drive like they are the only ones on the water and everyone else best GTFO of their way.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

curls wrote:
ShawnD wrote:You remind me of some of the land owners I've met...

That field/land is now privately owned and eventually will be developed into housing/condos... it's not a municipality approval that is required.
Tournaments could easily launch at Lake Park without any permission from the municipality, as stated earlier - lakes and waterways are crown property. It's the accesses to them that make them 'private' (can't get to it? then it's private as otherwise you are trespassing, unless you are lowered in by helicopter lol).

Just to correct you a bit.

But, regardless... I completely agree with 99% of the others in this post!
I've seen WAY more Sea-Doos and wakeboard boats with open alcohol, huge waves, dangerous driving, etc... than tournament anglers. Tournament anglers respect each other and respect the priviledge to use public waters. I cannot say the same about a near-majority of the wakeboard boats or sea-doos who drive like they are the only ones on the water and everyone else best GTFO of their way.

I know the land is private, I was told the municipality tells the organizers to rent it to not crowd the parking ramp or they can't host their event.
I'm pretty sure if they didn't have to they wouldn't... $$
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Kinda true - the municipality wants their $7/rig for launch (NOT parking) but doesn't want the parking clogged by tournament anglers. Technically, tournaments could not tell anyone, launch at one or more launches, and have their weigh-in without clearance from the municipality... as long as the municipality gets their launch fee $.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Haulin Bass wrote:As far as I can see some have missed the point being that the tournaments need to be controlled so that some lakes are not pounded weekend after weekend causing frustration for the other people that would like to use the lake for recreational purposes.

So improvements can be made, suggestions taken and looked at. Here is SOME to start
1) Shorten the hours and catch limit
3) As I have said early regulate the number and frequency of tournaments on any given body of water, within reason of course I am not talking Lake O here.
Sure, let's set up a lottery system just like hunting tags. If you don't have a tag for any particular day or hour, you cannot use any public waterway for recreational purposes (that includes sea-doos, navigating the Rideau Canal, etc!).

Sounds like a perfect plan. Lets get more government involvement, because that's always the most cost efficient and logical way to do it. :roll:
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

ShawnD wrote:I know the land is private, I was told the municipality tells the organizers to rent it to not crowd the parking ramp or they can't host their event.
So if you don't rent that adjacent field.....where exactly do you park 75 vehicles with big trailers attached to them?
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Mick wrote:
ShawnD wrote:I know the land is private, I was told the municipality tells the organizers to rent it to not crowd the parking ramp or they can't host their event.
So if you don't rent that adjacent field.....where exactly do you park 75 vehicles with big trailers attached to them?
Exactly. So they, the municipality, know an event is going to be held ( Which was the entire point of my comment to answer ) Wayy ahead of time...
It's not a surprise to them..

So in the future you may not see tournaments being held in that ramp, because of the condos will be built, but then people from the condos will be crowding the streets :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Mick wrote:
Multiple launches in the area - meet at one via water and go from there.
Or, park on the street all the way past the high school. It's not illegal AFAIK.