What do YOU need to do to become a better bass angler

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

What do YOU need to do to become a better bass angler

Post by Mick »

So, I've been thinking about this for a while. I've fished pretty much all of my life and really started out as a walleye guy and I think of myself as pretty good at it after years of trail and error. I really only started fishing bass seriously about 6 years ago. I've fished them longer than that but prior to about 6 years ago, not in a serious way.

I have a few techniques that work pretty good for me. I usually manage to get decent numbers and ok weight. I've been thinking about what I need to do to get better at it. Does better mean more weight? Or more numbers? I suppose the answer is that depends, with certain people in my boat it is a numbers kind of day, with other people in the boat it is weight hunting.

I think for me better means more weight. I prefer to fish for smallies but I guess I have come to the conclusion that I have to fish for largies more. Which means more shallow water. Throwing baits in shallow water is not my most enjoyable way to fish but I think it'll lead to some heavier largies.

So what about you? Is better more numbers or heavier fish? And what do you need to do to get there?

Mick
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: What do YOU need to do to become a better bass angler

Post by ShawnD »

IMO
Being able to catch fish no matter what and being able to catch BIG fish is what makes a great angler.

If you're well equipped, no need to spend more money, what you do need is more time studying and being on the water to apply what you think the fish are up too.
There's just so much you can do while you aren't on the water which will help you manage your time when you are.
The internet has so much information it'll make you go crazy....

Things to consider while on the water:
-the weather
-water temps
-The lay of the land (Study Maps)
-The different areas of the lake and what they hold

All keys that will help you figure out whats going on.
** You can find BIG small mouth Bass in shallow water too... Largies are fun though!!**
Good luck!

Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

To keep it simple, becoming a better bass angler, or angler in general requires lots of time on the water and research. Next would be lots of time on the water lol. Whether it's to finish better in tournaments or achieving a personal goal, time on the water and research will ultimately make you an all around better angler. There is so much information to help shorten the learning curve in the sport of bass fishing but nothing beats time on the water. The best anglers spend hours and hours doing just that.

It can sometimes be overwhelming with all new techniques and baits now but sticking to your strengths while taking time to fish some of your weakness even if that means fishing skinny water for a day will help you become more aware of what the lake/river has to offer as well as your own capabilities. It's a whole new world up there shallow :wink: Some lakes are just better suited for largemouth than smallmouth, and visa versa. A little research can help determine what's the better bite on that specific body of water. A big factor is knowing how fish move around a certain body of water with seasonal and weather change and bait present. If the place your fishing is known for big smallmouth, you may just need to tweak your tackle and location to get those bigger bites.

Nothing is more exciting to me than getting a big tank in the boat though just being out on the water enjoying what I love is equally satisfying, catching a big fish or small, 70 fish or 3. You can learn something from every single bite.

So I guess I prefer heavier fish to answer the question but lately it's been a number game :lol:
PòóF
Participant
Participant

Post by PòóF »

Catching lots of fish is always exciting and makes for a great day on the water but I think catching a really nice PIG can make a day. I've still got a lot to learn so every time I get out on the water I feel like I've become a better bass angler. I look back after a long day of fishing and ask myself what did I try different today and did it work or What new Techniques/Presentations did I use. Each day is something new and I'm just happy I get the chance to fish.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Patience, Patience, Patience....
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Bass Addict wrote:Patience, Patience, Patience....
And a white spinnerbait. :wink:
Smitty

Straight shooter
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Do any of your keep a fishing journal? I've heard it can help replicate / remember what worked where and under what conditions
PòóF
Participant
Participant

Post by PòóF »

ipjrobson wrote:Do any of your keep a fishing journal? I've heard it can help replicate / remember what worked where and under what conditions
Thanks to tips from a couple of guys on here I know have a fishing journal, I'm excited to see how well it will pay off after a couple season of entries.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

So, thanks for the responses. I do keep a fishing log, I have maps of every lake I fish and I do spend lot of time pouring over them prior to fishing, more so if it is a lake I am not as familiar with.

I really wasn't asking "how do I get better at this" :shock:

I was really asking more of a self assessment type question - if you look in the mirror and ask yourself "what do I need to do to get better at this" what answer do you get. Everybody has things that they need to be better at / do more often. For me, to catch more weight by the end of the day it is recognizing that I need to fish shallower which I don't enjoy as much. I was just curious how others see themselves

Mick
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

For myself I know I need to expand a bit on some techniques.

Jerk Bait: I don't throw jerk baits at all, while other guys are lined up to pay 25 to 30 bucks for em so they must throw em and love em. Maybe this Fall.

SwimJig: This was new to me as of today, yes I've seen em on TV but haven't tried it until now. After seeing my boat partner catch 4 fish in about 20 minutes I asked him for one. 15 casts later I landed my best Largie of the year on it. Kinda bizarre but they'll likely be in the rotation now.

RJ
Troller
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troller »

Wow this is a great thread. Lots of excellent information. Good idea :-)
For me, my objective this season was to work on my plastics both for rigging and presentation. I have a summer home on one of the larger lakes in the Ottawa region. I know what works on my lake to catch fish but I wanted to try different techniques. I am really happy to say that I have been successful in this endeavor.
Good fishing!
Dave
chiro31
Participant
Participant

Post by chiro31 »

#1 for me is having the time to get out on the water period.. Goes without saying hard to catch 'em if you are not on the water.
#2 Is when coming to a new body of water knowing what to throw or where to start. I have my favorite lures like any other angler. But sometimes when I get out on a new body of water I struggle knowing what to start with. The couple lakes I have fished in Ontario I have a good idea of what to throw and where they are
#3 I think I need to educate myself more re specific technique and polish those techniques.
procrafter12
Participant
Participant

Post by procrafter12 »

Cool thread, my goal this year was to slow down, mainly when going for largies. Too many times in the past I would pitch in once or twice and if i didnt get bit move on. Since slowing down im learning sometimes its the 10th cast to the exact same spot before the biggen will bite. I feel like im always looking to the next spot and not giving the current one a chance.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

RJ wrote:
SwimJig: This was new to me as of today, yes I've seen em on TV but haven't tried it until now. After seeing my boat partner catch 4 fish in about 20 minutes I asked him for one. 15 casts later I landed my best Largie of the year on it. Kinda bizarre but they'll likely be in the rotation now.

RJ
I can't find these yet in stores around here. Did you order them RJ?
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Oneeleven wrote:
RJ wrote:

RJ
I can't find these yet in stores around here. Did you order them RJ?
Any arkie/Alien head style jig with a verticle line tie will work, Paddletales carries some swim jigs from Perfect Jig.

One of my favorite ways to fish for largies!
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada