What do YOU need to do to become a better bass angler

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: What do YOU need to do to become a better bass angler

Post by Oneeleven »

Frigg thanks Brad! I could have sworn Paddletales was the first place I checked. Much appreciated!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Sorry for the delay on this Tia. I just used a regular 3/8ths oz flippin jig. I've since picked some up at Baitcasters.

RJ
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

cool thread..

so my 2 cents make a plan and stick to the plan... take note of the subtle things you do differently that result in being bit replicate!
painter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by painter »

How to get better ?

Try time on the water.......and in ALL conditions !! The "fair weather" fisherman is an awesome angler.......but the person who can catch them anywhere anytime is far better.

Stop fishing your "favorite lake " over and over and over........... fish different bodies of water and change techniques and depths that you fish in.

And finally fish with as many different anglers as you can. Seeing their different approaches and techniques can also give you a better understanding and a different perspective on certain bodies of water and conditions.

And its NOT about finding more spots. That will come to you naturally as you fish more and more and more.

Good luck out there.
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

I still have a few lead jigs that I like ,but I switched to tungsten years ago,I special order all my skirts,and my weight configurations,my best swim jig that I've built to date is actually a punch weight,which my skirts never move on,fish after fish,plus,I have the versatility of a swinging hook,you can trim the skirts down for a smaller profile,when the bite is slow,or leave them fat for a bluegill(panfish) look,you can change weights and colors fast,throw it anyplace a spinner bait would go,or toss it into slop and walk it along til it drops into a hole,,100% weedless,you can't do that with fixed hook jigs,,I also have some that I added a spinner blade or a chatter blade,for buzzin' over deep weed lines,ImageImage
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Mick wrote: Does better mean more weight? Or more numbers? I suppose the answer is that depends, with certain people in my boat it is a numbers kind of day, with other people in the boat it is weight hunting.

I think for me better means more weight. I prefer to fish for smallies but I guess I have come to the conclusion that I have to fish for largies more. Which means more shallow water. Throwing baits in shallow water is not my most enjoyable way to fish but I think it'll lead to some heavier largies.

So what about you? Is better more numbers or heavier fish? And what do you need to do to get there?

Mick
What a GREAT post and questions. I like to think I improve a little every season... but I have to be a lot of other things 1st (mom, wife, etc.), before I get to be recreational angler -- and then only get to hit up the water in a semi-serious way during cottage season. So that improvement is marginal!

The thing I have to remind myself most often is DON'T get stuck in a rut: change up!
Whether that be lure selection / presentation styles & speeds / spots on the water. I tend to get lazy and complacent
I'm also easily distracted by wildlife, drop my rod and grab the camera. :lol: But that's another passion, so...... !

I'm with you in that I think hooking up with larger, and likely fewer, fish is the goal. Of course, hooking up with LOTS of larger fish consistently is the golden ring. Still, there are times when I just like to reel them in, and might even just take a break from bass and northerns, pick up the ultra-light and have a go at the pannies. That's good, old-fashioned fun. Especially when there are newbie fishing kids in the boat.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.