MS Bassin 2015

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: MS Bassin 2015

Post by beachburger »

Well we did get 5 fish and met half our goal..... :D But with a whopping 8.30 lbs we fell somewhat short of the 10 lb target..... :oops: This section of the Rideau R will never be on any list of places I'd choose to go for a fun fish but it's good to fish unfamiliar waters and try to figure things out and we're glad to make the trip in to support the cause.

It was nice being able to spend a few minutes at the end of the day checking out Shawn's shiny new Phoenix and BS'ing a bit with M-A and Frank. By that time I had forgiven Frank's shoes for leaving more grass in my boat than what ended up in the boat after flipping grass all day..... :lol:)
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Birdee and I had a blast yesterday as always at this event. Matt and his team put on a great event for a great cause.

We bumped into some decent fish and slid in for 6th place. Congrats to all those who set a goal for their day and hit it.

RJ
PòóF
Participant
Participant

Post by PòóF »

That was probably the most fun I've had fishing in a tournament. I didn't get the 5 fish I wanted but I didn't come last. Hooked up with a sweet sized musky but he broke off and pulled in a few pike... Not the fish I wanted but always move
To hook up to something. It was really amazing to see some of the fish some of you pulled in and the different techniques you caught them on definitely got a couple more notes/tips in my fishjng journal.

Got to meet lape, almontefisher, and I believe I chatted with RJ (atleast that's what the boat said) for a few while waiting to load the boats and even gave him a wave on the highway. Was great to meet you all and I look forward to meeting you again.
Ms Bassin
Participant
Participant

Post by Ms Bassin »

What a great day, we lucked out with the weather for a fifth straight year. It was hot, but atleast it was dry. The event was truly a great success, and with so many great anglers and sponsors I don't think we could have asked for better.

Thank you to all that participated, and a huge thanks to all the amazing sponsors.

It is always nice to see so many returning teams , as well as the new ones. All results , and pictures should be posted on the web page shortly.

Cheers,
Matt
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

Big props to you Matt and your team on another silky smooth event! Kellie and I had a blast as usual and it felt great to finally put together a decent bag and take home some cash with 3rd place! We found 'em chuckin frogs and punchin around the mats in 4-6ft of water but we just couldn't find a kicker to seal the deal.

Here's Kellie stretchin a couple out :lol:

Can't wait for next year!

Cheers - Jason
Last edited by i got worms on Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

We salvaged a decent weight to what would have been a very humiliating weigh-in.
Come noon we had 2 dinks in the well, one of which might have been under 12 inches.
Decided to go shallow for the afternoon, and it paid off.
Frogs casted near shore produced most of our fish.

Another successful event in the books Matt, and to all involved who make it an awesome tournament to attend every year.
Here’s hoping record breaking funds have been raised for the MS society!

Also, the bag of goodies is always appreciated.
beachburger wrote: It was nice being able to spend a few minutes at the end of the day checking out Shawn's shiny new Phoenix and BS'ing a bit with M-A and Frank. By that time I had forgiven Frank's shoes for leaving more grass in my boat than what ended up in the boat after flipping grass all day..... :lol:)
Nice talking to you Doug, that boat of yours is one sleek ride!
StarTzar’s left behind grass on deck was rather messy, but not as bad as the ketchup stain on Shawn’s carpet….I wonder if the pressure washer got it out before he could notice! ;)
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

What a day it was. We started off heading down river for about 1000yrds and fished a little stretch by a river channel and within the first three minutes I hooked into our first fish. A good ole solid 1.6lbs largie..lol. Ok it was the first fish and we could relax knowing we were not skunked!! Fished there for another few minutes and then kicked it across the river to another spot I had seen on google maps with docks and a nice weedline but some guy in an RJ and Birdie boat were in our lane so we moved a bit further down away from the docks and into the stretch of weeds. What a good choice cause in the next 15 minutes I managed another 3 bass and my buddy got another 2. So with our 5 limit in the first hour we culled a lot of fish but only by a few ounces each time. Ended up catching 12 bass and three pike. Near the end of the day looking for that last kicker I set the hook into a beast of a bass. He must have jumped three or four times and right at the boat when I was reaching down to get him he swam for the weeds. I gave a easy tug to pull him out and "POP" the hook came out. That fish would have brought our total to over 10lbs for the day but instead we ended up with 7.25lbs. Very sad weight wise but overall a great day of catching fish. Seems to me that I need to work on catching the bigger brutes. Small ones were easy. So we also must have lost a few nice bass either by those damn weeds or

So overall my buddy and I had an amazing day on the water. The boat did us well. We caught lots of bass and some nice pike too with this 10+lber coming in for a picture.

Of course the obligatory double hold. Not so impressive with 1lbers..lol :oops:

So overall we were not skunked and had one hell of a day. See you next year Matt and the team from MS Bassin!!
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Heisenbass
Participant
Participant

Post by Heisenbass »

Well we had a blast on Saturday!! We had a plan going in and it ended up working perfectly, giving us a 15 lbs stringer good enough for second place! :D Considering we were on the waiting list just a few days before the tournament, it was really awesome to just fish the event, let alone take home some money! We mostly fished heavy cover, taking it real slow with senkos and texas rigs. Caught a nice 3.5 lbs small jaw in the morning, then ran with our pattern to get 2 more 4 lbs largies in the boat by 1:30 pm. We filled the rest of our bag with two pounders and that was it! All in all just a great day of fishing!! Also got to meet a few of you which was great! Really looking forward to fishing this event again next year!! :D
Our two big largies
Our two big largies
IMAG0127.jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 4414 times
Our big smallie and a good 2 pounder
Our big smallie and a good 2 pounder
IMAG0133.jpg (3.24 MiB) Viewed 4414 times
Martin
BAA 2016 - Team 22
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Great fishin boys!

RJ
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Congrats to all! It was nice to meet you guys and see Beachburger again.
I didn't do so well, got to roll with the punches and thinking back now I should've moved a little more.

Looking at the past results it's my biggest bag so far.. :|

Looking forward to next year :D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

ShawnD wrote:Congrats to all! It was nice to meet you guys and see Beachburger again.
I didn't do so well, got to roll with the punches and thinking back now I should've moved a little more.

My problem was not finding them and getting my full bag. It was getting the big ones to bite more consitenty. Not sure what I need to do to improve that side of my game??
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

almontefisher wrote:
ShawnD wrote:Congrats to all! It was nice to meet you guys and see Beachburger again.

My problem was not finding them and getting my full bag. It was getting the big ones to bite more consitenty. Not sure what I need to do to improve that side of my game??

I found some, under the thick cheese mat, I would leave my frog there for several minutes and the bass would pierce through the mat and get the frog. But a lot of them missed it and didn't come back for it...
I stayed there and kept fishing hoping they would come back, which is where I believe I lost a lot of time..
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

I am anxious of seeing the result but it seems it has not been posted on Bassin web site. Any tips given for fishing that section for the coming weekend since I didn't go to that Rideau river section I normally go because of I knew this tournament planned and I know I would be skunked if I go even I could only catch few small fish each time.
Ms Bassin
Participant
Participant

Post by Ms Bassin »

The results are up on the web page now msbassin.com . Check out how everyone finished, it was tough day on the water. Or at least that's my excuse.

Now how do we make it better next year?

Cheers,
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Ms Bassin wrote:The results are up on the web page now msbassin.com . Check out how everyone finished, it was tough day on the water. Or at least that's my excuse.

Now how do we make it better next year?

Cheers,
Something must have happened, I don't see the 2015 results .