Algonquin Park Fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kliven
Participant
Participant

Algonquin Park Fishing

Post by kliven »

I'm planning on heading up to Algonquin Park a couple weeks from now, and I was just wondering which campsites generally have good fishing? (There are so many campsites, its hard to pick one!) I plan on bringing a canoe, and I won't mind paddling a few hours to nearby lakes either.

Or if Algonquin park is too pressured, are there other Ontario parks that have good fishing?

Any help would be appreciated!
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Algonquin Park Fishing

Post by banjo »

Algonquin has alot of campsites. Any that I have been too have great fishing. You might want to specify an area of the Park you are heading to, for more details.
Bis4ben
Participant
Participant

Post by Bis4ben »

Few lakes along the 60 corridor i enjoy and frequent for trout ... Shirley, Louisa, Welcome. All require at least one portage.
There are also several lakes directly off the hwy that don't have any campsites but are stocked with splake.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

kliven wrote:I'm planning on heading up to Algonquin Park a couple weeks from now, and I was just wondering which campsites generally have good fishing? (There are so many campsites, its hard to pick one!) I plan on bringing a canoe, and I won't mind paddling a few hours to nearby lakes either.

Or if Algonquin park is too pressured, are there other Ontario parks that have good fishing?

Any help would be appreciated!

The further away from a main road, the more portages you do, the more KM's you paddle, the better the fishing is.*

*this is not a guaranteed recipe for success

E
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

Thanks for the help everyone! Perhaps I'll try a few of those lakes out...
arnpriormike
Participant
Participant

Post by arnpriormike »

Bring a canoe, and troll. Troll lots! Lead core line, EGB spoons and a portable fish finder! The harder you work the better! Also, about the fishing pressure in the park, 90% of people that go to the park are there to just camp/canoe. Of the 10% of people that fish there, I'd say very few people know how to catch trout.