St. Lawrence near Prescott and NY License . . .

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

St. Lawrence near Prescott and NY License . . .

Post by NMG »

Hi everyone,

I've never been on the St. Lawrence near Prescott and I was just wondering if it would be wise to grab a NY State license if venturing out in that area? Is there enough good water on the Canadian side to focus one's attention on without worrying about it? I'd mainly be looking to get into Pike and Walleye.

Thanks a bunch!
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: St. Lawrence near Prescott and NY License . . .

Post by toobinator »

I have both licenses, but there is lots of fishing on the Canadian side. Keep in mind though that the border does not always go down the center of the river and it's definitely not a straight line. This is a good area to keep an eye on your gps when fishing. Your border is shown on it.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

Awesome, thanks for the info Ed! Also a good tip on watching the border, I'll be sure to keep an eye on the chart :)
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

Like Ed mentioned, very wise to watch the chart, there are actually spots further east where the deeper water is US water, for running on plane, and it appears like they were drunk , when they drew the lines. There is times you will see more NY boats trolling than canadian boats, but most guys know where they are exactly,and i have found that all the fishermen on both sides are very friendly and give a wide berth when passing or meeting each other. I've never been checked on either side, but carry both permits. NY dropped their non-res prices last year from $77 to $50, you can buy one at walmart or any of the marinas in ogdensburg, if you are sticking close to the line, uscg are pretty cool, they won't chase you down , unless they see you heading for land, you can set yourself up with CBP to land via VHF radio if you plan on fishing alot there and want to tie up for lunch or fuel. Great place to eat on canadian side is the old bridgeview marina, right under the bridge, plenty of places to tie up and they sell gas, and are a mercury dealer.
el_caboing
Participant
Participant

Post by el_caboing »

You can also do it online and just print it out. That's what I did and it worked like a charm.

https://aca.dec.accela.com/dec/

Steve
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

Cool, thanks guys. It sounds like it might be worth it to just grab the NY license and have one less thing to worry about.
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Does that means you can fishing on US water if you have NY fishing license and USCG will not chase you? What is the rule on fishing the Larry about border line? Thanks.