Fitzroy Harbour / Constance Bay area

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
plittle2
Participant
Participant

Fitzroy Harbour / Constance Bay area

Post by plittle2 »

Hi everyone. I am new to the area and new to Ottawa River fishing---thinking about keeping my boat at Port o Call Marina Dunrobin (will be living close by) and fishing this immediate area and up to Fitzroy Harbour. Would appreciate any help or feedback regarding Port o Call and what I can expect as to fishing potential of this area---would consider a guide for the day if you know anyone who guides this part of the river. Thanks for any advice. Fisher 72
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Fitzroy Harbour / Constance Bay area

Post by Oneeleven »

Bumping your thread as I'm not sure it was seen by everyone.

For guides; Yannick? RJ?

Love this end of the Ottawa. The river is pretty clear most of the time, aside from right near where the Quon (sp?) ferry crosses. I've caught some decent sized fish. Always quite a few as far as numbers go. Also,there are quite a few species to be caught.

Couple of other things: there's lots of current. And this fluctuates often as the dam is right there. And Watch out for dead heads. :!: :shock: There are TONS and most are not marked.
Dinger
Participant
Participant

Post by Dinger »

I used to live there and there are many good places to go in the stretch of the Ottawa you're talking about.
First and foremost, go get a sailing chart of the Ottawa--it's sold in sections and is very detailed.

You can find just about every species in that water body, apparently including brown trout--never caught one but saw one jump out of the water a number of years back when Quebec started stocking them.

Watch for shoals, deadheads and reefs near the Quyon ferry and Fitzroy--that's where the chart could save you a lower unit or prop.

There was a launch on the west side of Constance Bay facing into Buckham's Bay where I lived. There's other smaller unmaintained ones as well around the bay. Port of Call is a good spot. Start fishing right outside the breakwater there too.

HTH
Don
The Don
Participant
Participant

Post by The Don »

Hi Pitle2.....It really depends what type of fish you want to target on this stretch of the river...As for the in season stuff now ,,if your looking for walleye try around the mouth of the Quyon river just down from the ferry on the Que side...Drifting with a bottom bouncer usually produces what your looking for...Or try the ontario side just down from here where the power lines cross ..Look up on shore there is what looks like an old cave ...Right out front of here where it drops off is pretty good.....As for pike anywhere there is a newly forming weed bed .....Careful though as previously mentioned a lot of dead heads and shoals.....Especially up towards Pontiac Bay and the dam.....I was out for the first time last weekend ...The water is concerningly low for this time of year....NOT a good sign...but they were hitting !! Good Luck...

Which brings me to my question for other FH's.....I went to my usual GAR spots and none to be found ..The water temp was 58 I'm thinking still to cold...Is the temp warmer down around Orleans Rockland ?? where it looks like you guys are scoring ??? Thanks... ..
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

Guys Iwill be camping there this weekend and would love to do some shore fishing. Any good spots in or near the campground for land bound anglers???
The Don
Participant
Participant

Post by The Don »

If your at Fitzroy ? .....head out to road for the Dam....Waters fast and cold here ...don't go to the base of the dam....but you can shore fish from the road in, both sides.. no problem ...walleye ...Pike...
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Thanks Tia, yes I guide that stretch as one of the two I fish on the Ottawa.

A Navionics chip is definitely a help for safety.

It's a great stretch of the river, kinda different than all others.

RJ

P.S. The Gar are always around somewhere... :lol:
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

The don I know where you are talking about, it is called clifford campbell st. Are you allowed to take that all the way to chat falls and morris island?