tough fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

tough fishing

Post by tbone1088 »

Hey guys,
Went out fishing on tuesday to a spot that is usually a slam dunk for walleye early on in the spring. Big ole goose egg ! We did catch some pike and missed a big one over 30 inches. The water is much lower than usual for the ottawa at this time of year, also the water is still very cold. Is anyone else having a tough go of it this year so far?
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: tough fishing

Post by CCLad »

Hey Tbone, I went out Fri for the opener to one of my early season walleye holes, I didn't spend allot of time on the water as the second I left the dock it started raining (and didn't stop). That said, I got nothing.... Went back Sat eve and got 5 eyes, a small pike and a couple of decent sized perch in a couple hours. No size to the walleye (slot size in effect right now any ways) but managed to bring a couple home for a tasty snack. Keep at em!
CCLad.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

PM sent.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Yes, it has been an odd early season. I don't find the water temps to be that far off normal, but the weed growth is certainly delayed compared to last year. We're finding fish in the warmest possible water we can find in the bays, and most of those fish are over 40cm. Our eaters are coming from the main channel. The bottom bouncing is quite sporadic. For example, opening day on my go-to opener spot we got skunked for the first hour of the day, went back a few hours later and got 12 walleye in 45 minutes. This week, the bite was more consistent. All and all, we're putting together good outings, but I think the blow your mind good days are still ahead once the greenery sprouts. I am finding much more big (12'' +) perch than any year prior. All things considered a different than usual early season for sure on the Ottawa.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

I hope your right Yannick that the best fishing is still yet to come! So far the trips have been the kind where you know 5 minutes after arriving that the fish just aren't there, no nibbles or signs of life anywhere. However it is early in the year and the long winter is just releasing its hold on the fish. I'm also wondering if most the fish are recovering from their spawning runs still. I will be trying some other spots this weekend, maybe the luck will change! Hope to have a report with lots of pics of pics VERY SOON!
Frog in
Participant
Participant

Post by Frog in »

I've been fishing around Petrie island for a couple days. Got some bass but they aren't that active. So I decided to try buzzbait since they say it covers more water. But I'm new to buzzbait, I see on YouTube buzzbait flows topwater why does mine keep sinking and spins underwater? I bought my buzzbait at Canadian tire