DIY Reel Service

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

DIY Reel Service

Post by Oneeleven »

I have an inexpensive reel (Daiwa Laguna). That I absolutely adore.

I foolishly didn't get it serviced at Eds at the end of last season.

It's only a year old in August, but it's been loved and used for countless hours and is now protesting while I retrieve in the way a squeaky, old gate to a haunted house might do...

It needs oil I am thinking? Suggestions on how I can do this myself? Products you FH'ers love? And can I mess it up by doing this?

TIA for the help :)

T
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: DIY Reel Service

Post by lape0019 »

Tia, it takes a lot to mess this up.

I clean all of my baitcasters and it can be intimidating at first but not really all that hard.

Because it's a Daiwa, I don't know what you should use but for my Shimanos I use the bantam oil on my bearings (after they have been flushed. Some people use acetone to do this but I used ardent reel clean and an ultrasonic cleaner), Abu grease on the gears and worm gear (I suspect this may be your noise) and Shimano drag grease on the drags.

Any internal parts that are dirty get soaked in simple green and water or hot water and Dawn dish soap. All depends on what I have handy...

When taking apart a reel, lay the pieces that you take of in a line from left to right and when you put them back together just go right to left.

There are a few pieces that are spring loaded which is the hardest part.
Go on YouTube and look up reel cleaning. There are many good videos out there and maybe you will even find one using your reel...

Good luck!

Adam
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Take it apart :shock:

Thank Adam. I have been watching some vids. Still nervous as hell to make a mess, but I guess a girl's gotta just take the plung :p
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Just make sure you have the schematic and you'll be fine.

There is still time to send it out before bass season if you are that nervous...
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Google it! that's what i did a few years ago and now I do all my reels. 95% of them are Shimanos so they are pretty well all the same.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Tia: If you run into problems with your reel don't bring it to Paddletales for service. I have run into way to many problems with the service for that brand. Any other brand I have no problem with. I can however give you the address of where to send it. They'll need a credit card number before they look at it though.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

toobinator wrote:They'll need a credit card number before they look at it though.
toobinator wrote: I have run into way to many problems with the service for that brand. Any other brand I have no problem with.
:lol: Sounds like there could be an good story behind this one.

Tia, let me know if you need help taking it apart, I've taken apart a lot of reels and if you're attempting this they're are some simple tricks that will make this a lot easier for you. ;)
My top tips:
1- Use a white towel when taking it apart, this does two things, keeps the parts from bouncing and falling to the floor, the white towel also makes it easy to see the small parts.
2- place all the parts that you take off in a row, that way you know which part goes back first when it's time to put it back together.
3- when applying grease, less is more and only to gears.
4- when applying oil to your bearings, make sure it gets in there but also remember less is more.

Shawn.D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Tia. If you've treated your reel properly you don't have to strip it down completely and start soaking all the parts, etc. Keep it simple and you won't have any issues. Only remove what you're comfortable removing. A toothbrush helps to clean around the worm gear and other hard to reach spots. Grease the gears and oil everything else that moves and you won't believe the difference. When/if you clean the drag washers be careful as some materials can be brittle. Best to lie them on a flat surface to clean.
Keep it simple the first time and when bouyed by your success you'll have the confidence to go a little further next time.
Tons of tutorials on the net. Shimano has some good simple step by step basic servicing that is generic enough for most reels.

Good luck.