Reminder about live bait rules on the Ottawa

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Reminder about live bait rules on the Ottawa

Post by Seabass81 »

With the walleye and pike opener next Friday ,thought it would be a good idea to remind people to be mindful of what side of the Ontario / Quebec border they are on while using/ transporting live minnows . Had a few customers and friends who strayed pass that line and got fined based on the amount of minnows in there buckets .

I beleive this rule was new last year .
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reminder about live bait rules on the Ottawa

Post by RJ »

Can you explain the law for everyone?

RJ
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Seabass81 »

Ive just spent the last hour trying to figure out this Quebec mnrf website and can not find the info that I am looking for. All that I know of the regs is based on the fines issued by the MNRF to some anglers launching out of Petrie Island. One of those guys did not speak a word of French so I helped translate his ticket and later on his court summons.

From what I remember it was that the use and possession of minnows was prohibited on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River as of 2013. To avoid giving false information I have contacted the MNRF to clarify as well as to point out where on there website I can see this info.

John
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Yep, I remember hearing about this a couple of years ago. The Ottawa was about the last place you were allowed to use live bait in Quebec and I think even then they had to be purchased from local shops along the river who trapped them on the river. Still a hassle to enforce so banning it there is an easy way out. Those shops along the 148 lost a lot of business but they may have had some compensation from the gov.
You guys should put a sign up at the shop. It just gives a the QC MNR an excuse to stop every boat they feel like. Plus as long as they keep making money they'll stick around bugging people.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter