Looking for feedback (Small boat and trolling motor?'s)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Looking for feedback (Small boat and trolling motor?'s)

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Long read, with a question or 2. Last yr the wife and I fished from the canoe here in the city A few results from a canoe (Pics).

With a few extra bucks I am getting from a long time waiting legal battle with my previous employer, we are looking at something more stable for a water craft. Nothing much, but the trolling motor is the question aspect is what I need help on. Here are the links on what we are looking at, for it will be something we can throw on the top of the van, and fish in the city, or back lakes with easy enough to walk it in and out, battery, motor and boat.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/…/sun-dolphi ... n-boat-079
And then a trolling motor to put on it.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/…/minn-kota- ... -in-trolli
I want to build a housing for the battery, and just wonder if this set up is worth putting the effort into? It is only for inner city fishing, or a day trip to hit docks in Westport I cannot get from shore. God knows I aint rich, but this is for my wife, and to fish some city waters I have dreamed of since I was a kid from a boat! Any feed back would be greatly appreciated gang!!!
Doeun_k
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Looking for feedback (Small boat and trolling motor?'s)

Post by Doeun_k »

Looks like the canoe you have right now would be the best bet. Sportspals are light and have great stability. If you want it more stable maybe add and outrigger.

Plenty of DIY on YouTube

Chen K
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

http://m.kijiji.ca/canoes-kayaks-paddle ... 7939602Not sure on cash flow but what about a some used yaks easy to move around
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

I would suggest not getting that boat from CT..... Keep an eye on kijiji, there is always Jon Boats in the 10-12ft range that pop up from time to time in the 200$400 range along with 10-12ft tinners....

Picked up my 10ft Jon a few years back from an old lad for $150 luckily... I fish smaller back lakes and have a 3HP Evinrude on the back and it pushes it around with 3 guys no problem, total cost into the setup boat/motor $450....

I have used electric trolling motors on the back of my Jon boat as well and they worked fine, just a hassle lugging a heavy battery threw the bush, the small evinrude outboard I have is 20lbs with a full tank ad that lasts a day without issue.

You can have 3 guys standing, casting fairly comfortably in my 10ft Jon, it's as light as a sportspal canoe I can put it on the roof of my SUV by myself, would be the best setup in my opinion for the fishing you do.

I have used my Jon on Mississippi lake, up and down the jock and rideau rivers, small creeks and many back lakes. Not a boat you would take out on the Larry or Lake O but for most of the stuff around the city it does great and is very stable on the water.

Cheers,
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

I'd stay away from those plastic boats, they are way too heavy for there size, they are for lack of a better word sticky on the water (ie. takes too much effort to move).

Much better going with a nice 14' V tinny or john boat.

ALso check the capacities very carefully - 40lb battery, 20lb elec motor, 2 people some fishing gear, net, bait, lunch, small anchor and drift sock, cooler or fish keeper and you are pushing the upper limit mighty fast.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Yep don't buy that boat. I bought one for trout ponds. We flipped it. I thought it was me but a friend flipped it too. It looks stable but once in it on the water you quickly realize it's not. Where a canoe might be tippy its at least predictable. That thing was really unpredictable. Once you go past a certain point it goes quick. It's almost like it is top heavy. Not at all like an aluminum. Plus it's a real tub to push with the electic motor and move around. I'd take a Sportspal canoe anyday.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

My advice- get a widebeam squareback canoe... Throw a 4hp motor on and not many places you couldn't go.
Stable, fine for solo but also room for the wife, kids for those family outings
Welcome back Float!!
mitch
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mitch »

Out4trout wrote:My advice- get a widebeam squareback canoe... Throw a 4hp motor on and not many places you couldn't go.
Stable, fine for solo but also room for the wife, kids for those family outings
Welcome back Float!!
X2

I had a 16 ft. Scott's Y-stern paired with a 2 HP in Timmins for 15 years and another 5 years in Kingston area. Went anywhere I wanted with that outfit. Very versatile combo.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

I have owned a 12' car topper, own a lightweight canoe and have one of those "plastic boats"

You mentioned stability and I promise you that nothing will come close to the plastic boats. I own and love my pelican predator but it's weight means you would most likely need a tiny jet ski trailer to get it around as it approaches 200 lbs with a battery and motor on it. You cannot tip these boats, just not possible and standing to cast is easy. I use a 36v minn Kota to get around but small gas outboards are a possibility.

A 12" car topper will be lighter, easier to lug around, move quicker with the same power but will be no where close to as stable. If you are talking small flat bottom jon boats be prepared to deal with their tippy nature.

I picked my pelican predator up off kijiji for $600 but the pwc/jet ski trailers are expensive. If you plan on walking the boat around you would need a dolly or another in shape adult male
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Hahaha we must be real morons flipping it x2. The one we had I was in it by myself and moved over to one side and over it went. Went quick. Same thing with the other guy and that guy used to race super tippy C1 canoes when he was younger. He cursed the thing. I had a Coleman Crawdad years ago. I really liked it.

Was your Sun Dolphin green?
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Awesome feed back gang!!!!! The wife and I are going to look at a 12' Tinny after we come back from Opener. We are in no rush, but would be nice to have something for Pike and Eye opener here, and up at the cottage. Many many thanks to all!!!!!!!

T.L F.F