The Grease Trap - Lake Ontario's finest

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
T-Bone
Participant
Participant

The Grease Trap - Lake Ontario's finest

Post by T-Bone »

This past weekend was the shakedown cruise on Lake O. for RippleEffect, my Lund ProV. Despite the South Shore of the lake from Jordan Station to Niagara-on-the-Lake holding the right ingredients for early season salmon and trout (water warmth and color) I stayed somewhat local and targeted the early season Lake Trout closer to home. I picked up a ticket for the SCGFA spring derby so I was planning on doing some bounty hunting at the same time.

An unusual start to the season for me as I had 2 issues right at the launch! :oops:

First was after parking and returning to the boat that was now unusually low in the butt end, until I quickly realized what was happening when I saw the plug sitting in the splash well! I NEVER take the plug out of the boat, but I had it in for leaky rivet repair in the fall, and they didn't replace it after draining the boat from testing!
Then the sonar wouldn't turn on! turned out the + lead for the sonar wasn't connected :shock:

Anyway...on to the fishing. I was out solo, as I often do, and I knew roughly where to find the fish from prior experience, but I always like spending some time scouting on the way there. I didn't mark much until hitting about 70' of water where there were fish being marked suspended as well as on bottom. I kept it simple with 2 riggers and spoons and got lines set as quick as I could.

It wasn't long before the subdued roll and shake of a Laker fight was apparent on the rod that was scraping bottom, woohooo! first boat fish of the season

Just a little guy to start, maybe 2-3lbs

Then another...

Double header!...easy to deal with compared to Salmon :lol:

It was non-stop! I had no time to drink my coffee :D love it when that happens! It makes up for all the skunked outings :oops:

To keep a steady flow of fish to the net, my routine was to net and keep the fish in the water, unhook it while in the net, and then reset the downrigger and spoon, then retrieve the net and fish into the boat for a quick picture before releasing them :shock: In a way, this is practice for tournament fishing, and just about ultimately being efficient on the water. Yes it's hectic, but lots of fun!

Eventually I noticed that the main battery level was getting quite low, so I called it a day. wife and I had plans that night to visit some friends, and I got into some tequila! and that pretty much ended the first-light trip plan the next day :lol: Eventually got out late morning after doing some maintenance on the battery terminals in case that was part of the problem...I decided to also troll with the main to see how the battery behaved...it wasn't holding a charge as I started working the riggers the voltage would start dropping. I am not sure if it's the battery or the main not charging at this point...so I have to get that sorted.

Sunday was much calmer and there were a handful of boats near where I fished Saturday, so rather than crowding them I went off in a different direction, found myself eventually over by 50 point! Also found some more Lakers, but in deeper water this time. :wink:

While I did catch some suspended Lakers, I would say 85% came on the deep rod and when I marked more than 1 on bottom I would drop the other rigger down deep too. You could target these fish with Dipsy Divers or Downriggers and it's quite easy fishing for these beasts of the deep. If you can't target the best early season Salmon spots, there's nothing wrong with hitting up your local 'Greasy spoon' :wink:

I hope everyone has a great 2015 fishing season,... and I hate to say it as a Leafs fan...but Go SENS Go! :mrgreen:

Tony
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: The Grease Trap - Lake Ontario's finest

Post by Kerrazy »

Fantastic report! Thanks for sharing!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Nice greaseballs Tony!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

That's the way to kick off the soft water season!!
Nice lakers, great to see the Big Lake fishery so healthy.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Helluva first FH report!

Thanks so much for sharing :)
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Looks like fun! WTG.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Great report bud! Awesome start to the season
Cy
theDL
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by theDL »

Great report tbone! Pretty impressive solo fishing right there!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Awesome TBone! You're all over those early season lakers! I really enjoyed the pics.
T-Bone
Participant
Participant

Post by T-Bone »

Thanks guys! I'm at the other end of the lake from most of you, but the techniques are all the same. 8)

Unfortunately after talking to the shop, the earliest I can get the Lund in to get serviced is April 27th! ack! 2 whole weekends without RippleEffect being 100% :o

I am hoping it's something simple with the charging system on the Verado. I may be able to do short trips, but don't like being on big water with unreliable equipment.

Markus, I know you are super busy when in town, but if you have some time free let me know, maybe can get out together. If the engine dies, you're good and strong and can help paddle back in. :lol:

Cheers,
Tony
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I'll let ya know. i'd like to do one trip with you this year and catch up!
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

That's the stuff dreams are made of right there. Looks like things were on fire! Good going dude.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Nice to see ya posting again Tony. Ya cook some of the best summer salmon reports going, so it's only fitting you're "greasing" the pan first.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Great fish!