New MNR Stocking Proposal - Wellington/Sandbanks

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ut_falcon
Participant
Participant

New MNR Stocking Proposal - Wellington/Sandbanks

Post by ut_falcon »

I know many forum members fish out of Wellington/Sandbanks so I thought I would bring this to your attention:

If you read through the new proposed stocking plan for Lake Ontario the MNR mentions two options for Wellington:

Option #1: 25% of the Brown Trout stocked in Lake Ontario each year would go to Wellington (41,250 fish/yr).

Option #2: A large number of Browns would be stocked every other year instead of each year. This would average around 20,625/yr based on the lakewide target of 165,000 browns/yr. This number is basically the same as what the MNR is currently stocking. In the past the number of fish stocked at Wellington can vary quite a bit each year.

I think everyone who fishes the area should comment using the link below or should attend the public information meeting in Belleville on April 21st 6:30-10:00 pm at Fairfiled Inn (Churchill room), 407 North Front St. If you can't attend please comment online and let the MNR know how much we value this fishery and want to improve it by choosing to go with Option #1.

Public comment period ends April 30th so submit your opinion before it's too late!

"NEWS FLASH A SIGNIFICANT LAKE ONTARIO (FMZ20) COUNCIL ACHIEVEMENT!– The Proposed Lake Ontario Stocking Plan is now on the Environmental Registry for 60 days for public comment.

EBR Registry Number: 012-3046

Direct link: http://www.ebr.gov.on.ca/ERS-WEB-Extern ... anguage=en

Attached – the poster for the public information sessions.

Thanks

Andy Todd
Manager, Lake Ontario Management Unit
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
41 Hatchery Ln. Picton ON K0K 2T0
Bus: 613-476-3147
Andy.Todd@ontario.ca"
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: New MNR Stocking Proposal - Wellington/Sandbanks

Post by MichaelGA »

Anyway to summarize that ?

I haven't the slightest clue ... what's good / what's bad, 5W's etc.
T-Bone
Participant
Participant

Re: New MNR Stocking Proposal - Wellington/Sandbanks

Post by T-Bone »

MichaelGA wrote:Anyway to summarize that ?

I haven't the slightest clue ... what's good / what's bad, 5W's etc.
The biggest change that will affect the far East as I call it, is the stocking that occurs closer to Kingston. They are proposing moving those Steelhead away, as they are smolting out the St Lawrence!

They are looking to consolidate Brown trout stocking into fewer sites, so as to place larger numbers in each location. The sites have yet to be determined, but Wellington may stop getting annual stocks, and have it on a rotational basis.

The idea is to create Brown trout destination fisheries, rather than sprinkling them across the whole Canadian side of the lake as they do currently. The 2 proposals are defining major sites and building them up perpetually. Or having A & B sites in different locations. For example Cobourg one year (A Site) then Wellington the next year (B site)

Regardless of how it plays out. The simple fact that the Zone 20 council is inviting opinions and comment from the public (and apparently listening lately) is a great thing and we should support what they are doing for the fishery.

There is incredible Natural Reproduction for Steelhead out that way, you guys are truly spoiled compared to the West end of the Lake 8-)