Catch & Release may be too good...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Catch & Release may be too good...

Post by Kerrazy »

A study is suggesting our quick adaptation to catch & release may actually be causing some problems.

To paraphrase a study, they are Suggesting by leaving species under the slot size, we are actually harming the fisheries, as the under slot fish are foraging more food than their slot or over slot counter parts.

Here is the article I just stumble upon from Bass Resources.
http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/cat ... _bass.html
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Catch & Release may be too good...

Post by RyanW »

--
Last edited by RyanW on Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Choke wrote:Catch and release is the act of releasing the fish you catch. They are talking more about the harvesting of fish in the slot. Leading to over population of smaller fish.

Slot size leaves fish of a good breading size and smaller fish. Large fish eat small fish. And small fish grow to be big fish.
Doesn't really make sense to me. Maybe I should read it again.

This is pertaining to bass fishing, where there really is no slot.. Most bass fisherman out there are strickly catch & release. From my understanding the article is saying that because so many bass anglers have a hard time harvesting fish,that it could potentially have a negative impact on the fishery because the smaller, more aggressive fish deplete the food resources of a lake faster and more efficiently than larger fish.

I've fished lakes in Quebec that have this exact problem, catching 100+ clone 14" fish in a day, sometimes it can help the fishery to harvest those smaller fish so that the bigger ones can thrive.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Choke wrote:Catch and release is the act of releasing the fish you catch. They are talking more about the harvesting of fish in the slot. Leading to over population of smaller fish.

Slot size leaves fish of a good breading size and smaller fish. Large fish eat small fish. And small fish grow to be big fish.

Choke,

You need to read it to understand it. It is as Craig indicates, if we release these little guys they are depleting resources for the slot and better size fish to actually hit those ridiculous tank sizes our counter parts in the U.S. Are seeing.
I realize the St. Lawrence has some big gals but not so much our smaller bodies where the small ones out number the lunkers!
Now I realize bass are not limited to slot restrictions, yet walleye are so am curious if it would apply?
Kerrazy

Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

Kerrazy wrote:

Choke,

You need to read it to understand it. It is as Craig indicates, if we release these little guys they are depleting resources for the slot and better size fish to actually hit those ridiculous tank sizes our counter parts in the U.S. Are seeing.
I realize the St. Lawrence has some big gals but not so much our smaller bodies where the small ones out number the lunkers!
Now I realize bass are not limited to slot restrictions, yet walleye are so am curious if it would apply?
I don't think this would apply to walleye, the slot in many areas is the ONLY reason why there are any walleye left. Let's face it not many people release walleye. Keep a few 1.5lb bass and let the walleye go and it would probably help both species, and a 1.5lb bass tastes just as good as a walleye.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

BradGuenette wrote:
I've fished lakes in Quebec that have this exact problem, catching 100+ clone 14" fish in a day
White Lake isn't on the Quebec side? :D
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

JZ wrote:and a 1.5lb bass tastes just as good as a walleye.
While you might get some debate on that one lol, there is certainly nothing wrong with eating bass. Last summer one day a couple of decent smallies were caught off the dock at our family cottage on Pemich. No worms. My dad was raving about how good it was. He preferred it to the Lakers. A good buddy of mine is kind of a meat hunter who fishes to help feed his family and he keeps any bass he catches. So yea, why not keep more of those clones for the table. I'm not positive, but I think it's mostly smallmouth that get worms later in the season.

I'm curious, how many of the bass fishermen here actually keep fish for the table?
Smitty

Straight shooter
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

That's a great question Smitty!
How many Bass Fisherman don't even eat fish... You may be surprised!
Kerrazy

Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

This article is from a magazine, and hardly peer reviewed scientific work. It doesn't quote any studies, and it really all over the place in its claims. I would not take this article very seriously.
Bass have indeed evolved, and continue to evolve in the same manner that other creatures have, to maintain their place in the environment in which they live. They are very familiar with their environment and the things that pose a danger to their survival. They have become more adept at recognizing what looks "real" and what does not even though eyesight isn't their best sense.
Where is the author getting this from? Is this his own view?
Biologists believe that for slot and high-end limits to work properly, bass in the smaller classes (under the slot) must be harvested at a higher rate than currently popular. But can we now go back and relearn the art of fisheries management?
Wait, what biologists? The author is making claims without any evidence to back it up!
In studies done by the Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences at the University of Florida in 1999, scientists discovered detectable differences in proportional stock density in response to size limits in both largemouth bass and crappie.
How about a proper citation so we can view this study for ourselves? Also, is 16 year old data still relevant today? Are there new studies?
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Canmoore wrote:This article is from a magazine, and hardly peer reviewed scientific work. It doesn't quote any studies, and it really all over the place in its claims. I would not take this article very seriously.
Bass have indeed evolved, and continue to evolve in the same manner that other creatures have, to maintain their place in the environment in which they live. They are very familiar with their environment and the things that pose a danger to their survival. They have become more adept at recognizing what looks "real" and what does not even though eyesight isn't their best sense.
Where is the author getting this from? Is this his own view?
Biologists believe that for slot and high-end limits to work properly, bass in the smaller classes (under the slot) must be harvested at a higher rate than currently popular. But can we now go back and relearn the art of fisheries management?
Wait, what biologists? The author is making claims without any evidence to back it up!
In studies done by the Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences at the University of Florida in 1999, scientists discovered detectable differences in proportional stock density in response to size limits in both largemouth bass and crappie.
How about a proper citation so we can view this study for ourselves? Also, is 16 year old data still relevant today? Are there new studies?

I'm going to have to agree with Canmoore..
I'm a Bassfisherman that eats Bass, always keep the 1-2 pound range. They taste great and I plan on eating lots of pike this year :mrgreen:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/