QC Resident Fishing Permit Just Went Up By Almost 50%

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: QC Resident Fishing Permit Just Went Up By Almost 50%

Post by bradford2 »

Is the mandatory release license not for salmon fishing only? I didn't think they had anything like that for regular fishing.

At that new rate, I can almost guarantee my days of fishing QC are done sadly.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

BassAddict,
I will have mine, I figure you and I can get a couple landed before he is done whining about the Belle Provance!
Let me know which launch you want to meet at!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Guys, seriously I have been paying the foolishly high Ontario rate for 15 years and well frankly do not even need to, due to ancestral rights.
I do so, in hopes it does good things to support a sport I thoroughly enjoy.
Kerrazy

Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Bass Addict wrote:
cprince wrote:The longer story about this all is the MNR in QC is very poorly funded and/or budgeted. They are running deficits year in and year out. I would imagine it is similar to many provincial gov departments where the Feds download to the Provs and the provs tell them this is the money we will give you... make due.

After that, funding is up'ed only if it makes political sense. (Translation; Will it get them votes to take money from The OCD Smoking Monkey studies department and give it to The Painting with Body Parts arts department.)

This amounts to a tax hike.

I just did my income tax. I pay every year to the QC gov. Roads still suck. Hospital wait times are worse than ever. Schools still suck money out of my wallet. Cops still wearing camo?

In over 20 years of fishing the Outaouais 150 to 200 times a year, I have seen MNR on the water a total of 4 times... and poachers night lines 100s of times.

I don't mind paying more, to an extent, if they are doing something with the money beyond shutting out the public from boat ramps effectively privatizing the lakes.
My $ is probably going to MTL or Quebec City... or helping stock trout in a lake no one can get to... or have some egg head tell me I can't ice fish a lake for des blancs because there are laker in it.

Take it like a man and bend over like a girl.. tax payers credo.

Craig
Yada yada yada, blah blah blah....shut up and re- new your license !!!
X2
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Kerrazy wrote:Guys, seriously I have been paying the foolishly high Ontario rate for 15 years and well frankly do not even need to, due to ancestral rights.
You can fish the entire season in Ontario as a Canadian resident for 34.95. Less than half of the foolishly high Quebec rate.

Gotta draw the line somewhere, and 76 bucks is probably going to be on the wrong side of mine.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Kerrazy wrote:Guys, seriously I have been paying the foolishly high Ontario rate for 15 years and well frankly do not even need to, due to ancestral rights.
I've always paid for both licenses (Ontario and Quebec). They can charge what they want. I'll always renew.
Everyone complained when they raised the cost of driving permits. I know of no one that did not renew.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

bradford2 wrote:
You can fish the entire season in Ontario as a Canadian resident for 34.95. Less than half of the foolishly high Quebec rate.

Gotta draw the line somewhere, and 76 bucks is probably going to be on the wrong side of mine.
Bradford that's not correct,
I know this as I have paid! It is always $60 plus when you put the outdoors card in the mix. And as I don't need an outdoors card so don't carry it, I inevitably misplace it and have to buy a new one of those every time I fish Nippising in the spring.

But that is the beauty of living in a land of many lakes! You can stay in Ontario fish a new lake everyday and still not hit every lake in a year!
Kerrazy

campnfish
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by campnfish »

Here is the link to the fees for Ontario Residents:

https://www.ontario.ca/travel-and-recre ... -residents

This new system in Ontario with the plastic card and the yellow slip of paper seems pretty silly. I liked the old way where they had stickers, just like when you renew your plates.

The pictures on the front were also way better :)
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Supernova224 »

I wish they would have stayed with the stickers too. Carrying around a folded up 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper is much less convenient.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Supernova224 wrote:I wish they would have stayed with the stickers too. Carrying around a folded up 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper is much less convenient.
Totally agree. Stickers were much better.

I renew online.
I print my proof of renewal with the booklet size format from the PDF file.
This give you a more manageable 8 x 4 format.
Malyon18
Participant
Participant

Post by Malyon18 »

I just buy my license 3 years at a time, that way there is no having to carry extra slips or printed off copies, once the license expires so does the outdoors card and you just renew both at the same time.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

still cheaper than most entertainment experiences and lasts a whole year as opposed to a one time thing.

They're going to need some extra money to recreate the long gun registry now.
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Big Pike Mike wrote:They're going to need some extra money to recreate the long gun registry now.
This made me LOL :lol:
Sadly it's not a cause I think I can support haha.
Houner
Participant
Participant

Post by Houner »

Ya, the cost to fish is going to make me avoid buying a case or two of BEER!!! (or not). The long and short of it is, more money is put into managing our fisheries than is collected by licenses, so quit whining about the government not putting scarce resources into YOUR favourite past time. (BTW, love the reference to All in the Family!)

Sure, I'd like to be able to catch more and bigger fish closer to home, just like everyone else. So that means more money needs to be put into enhancing fisheries (i.e. stocking), or tightening and policing the existing rules (i.e. protecting critical habitat, slot limits, live-bait restrictions, decreasing limits, policing offenders). I'm thinking of going "to the dark side" for the first time this year, as the fisheries in Ontario have been hammered to the point of collapse. I have a map book (which isn't that old) that talks about what great walleye fisheries this lake or that lake have, and yet a quick search on Fish-Hawk all but points to the collapse of the fishery. The Tragedy of the Commons demonstrates that, given minimal or no regulatory and enforcement intervention, those resources which are owned by no one will be over exploited. I think it is time more interventions (including higher fees) be placed on these fisheries rather than less. That would include the our older demographic. If you have a boat, a truck to pull it, you can afford to pay for a license. It isn't fair to ask the rest of society to subsidize your hobbies.

Just my 2 cents to add to the discussion :wink:
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

I'm already being raped by the Feds and one Provincial "Gang of Thieves",
I certainly won't cow-tow to the "La Belle (ding-dong :P ) Province" gang
of pocket pickers, even if I could read their signs!!! :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I don't have a problem paying for a "Licence", but I sure wish my money
was going towards preserving/enhancing our Natural Resources, instead
of funding bloated pensions and 'eligible employment expenses' (ya, right!! :P :roll: )
that the MP's/MPP's get!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!