Does lure color count.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Does lure color count.

Post by smitty55 »

According to new research lure color has little affect on the overall success of fishing. I figure this should spark some lively debate, because all we all know everyone has their favorite colors of certain lures right? You know, the ones that always sell out first, the ones that match natural forage. Just like the guys buying up all those X-Zone baits in the popular colors now that they have closed up shop. Well think again. According to this bass study anyway. Here's the link.http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/How_importa ... it_or_lure

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Does lure color count.

Post by ShawnD »

Hmmm, I don't know what to think about that... Seems like they could have put more effort into it...
With today's technology like underwater camera's and controlled ponds someone could come up with a few more facts...

I've read online that the eyes of a large mouth bass have the necessary attribute to not only see color but to see in great detail.

Interesting stuff!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

I've always found the colour debate interesting.

The Linders always said that FIsh + Location + Presentation = Success.
IMO colour matters the least out of all things considered in the presentation part of the equation.
I think the bait type and how you work it are far more important most days.
Who can really say for sure though!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Yes and No....

It is more important to find location and workout the appropriate presentation. At that point clour becomes more apporpriate.

Check out:

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/fishing-tip ... r-my-world

I have seen this be a big factor trolling for for walleye @ quinte.... Many times you will see that the fish are hitting a certian colour on certain day as the same rod will go more often.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

You will never convince me that color doesn't matter, but you're much better off using the wrong color on the right spot than the perfect color on the wrong spot.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

catching 120 fish with different colored senko's Hardly constitutes earth shattering research.

IMO, there are many things that are more important than Color which is stated here and in the article, but color does play a role. if you wants to stick with their info, I'm not going to throw a black work in stained water just as I would t throw a chartreuse one in clear water.

But even in my example, there are variables (water clarity) that were not touched on in the article.

I typically stick with natural colors anyway.

And how deep did they fish? There are colors that disappear after so many feet while others will morph into something else that is still visible...

Adam
Farlane94
Participant
Participant

Post by Farlane94 »

Even if colour has no effect, if you have a lucky coolur and you feel confident with it, confidence can make the difference between catching and not catching.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Farlane94 wrote:Even if colour has no effect, if you have a lucky coolur and you feel confident with it, confidence can make the difference between catching and not catching.
Funny how that works eh?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Regardless of any study that says it doesn't matter...

The vast majority of the BIG muskies in my boat are consistently caught on two or three patterns. One colour in particular has put an exceptional amount of big fish in the net.

Lots of other colours catch lots of fish, but a couple of colours catch BIG fish... I can't argue that.

It is worth it to experiment and find the colours that trophies consistently eat.
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

I am not concerned with colour. Depth, size,speed,action,then colour. I will change between a natural colour ( green pumpkin,black,white) and an unnatural (chartreuse, pink) there are certain light and water conditions where I believe that helps, but greenpumkin with red fleck vs greenpumpkin with purple fleck??? I dont think so. Now if that purple fleck gives you more confidence and allows you to really work an area properly then go for it!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I equate the study to the guy trolling who says.."Green is the hot color!" Ask him what else he ran. "Nothing green was hot!" How the hell do you know if you never put anything else down... :lol:

Color is 100% about confidence to me. I was out with Big Jim one day flippin docks and when he saw the color I was using he took a jab at me that we still joke about years later. "Dude, I wouldn't throw that color even if they paid me." I quickly went on to tell him how many big fish I'd caught on that color. I still use it and catch fish yet in his eyes it was junk... :lol:

RJ
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Ed at Paddletales says that color does matter ... He sold me 78 different color senko's. :roll:
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

My experience is that colour preference is both lake and species specific. Match the hatch idea.
Many of my best producing lures are white or black, and silver and gold for spoons.

RJ - I was in Baitcasters when you were buying a bag of that colour. You kept positioning it so I couldn't see it, I just figured it must be your hot lure. My curiosity was raised by the secret and I admit, I snuck a peak when you put it on the counter for Crystal to ring through. :shock:

When I saw the colour I realized you were not being cagey but rather, likely just embarrassed... :oops: :lol:

Dont worry, I won't tell anyone... :lol:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

That's awesome Len.. :lol:

RJ
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant