fishing gear

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

fishing gear

Post by tbone1088 »

Hey guys, I am going to be doing a major overhaul of all my gear this fishing season, and would like some input from you fhawkers... I am buying a new tackle bag and stowaway cases. I would like to get waterproof stowaways and was wondering where to get them and roughly how much they would be?
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: fishing gear

Post by jona38 »

I picked up one of the Cabela's Advanced Anglers tackle bags last year and absolutely love it. Very well made and I'm sure its gonna last for years. I got the magnum and its got loads of room. I was a little hesitant to order it without seeing it but it got a ton of good reviews so I went ahead and wasn't disappointed at all. But it doesn't have the waterproof trays your looking for. Jon
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/45244/cab ... lity-boxes
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

if your looking for a specific brand named "stowaway", I have no idea. I did see some waterproof plano cases at Sail and I think n Ed has a few in stock as well.

My fishing partner ordered some Bass Mafia cases for tacklewarehouse last year and they seem to be built quite well. They are pricey though.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

I would be looking local for sure. Anything you order from the U.S. now you need to tack on an extra 25% with our low dollar. Check local online sites or give Ed at Paddletales a call. He's always good for a chat.
Tha Animal
Participant
Participant

Post by Tha Animal »

Check out kijiji, theres a couple adds on there now. Heres one http://www.kijiji.ca/v-fishing-camping- ... nFlag=true
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

lape0019 wrote:
My fishing partner ordered some Bass Mafia cases for tacklewarehouse last year and they seem to be built quite well. They are pricey though.
These are not built well! Atleast not the clear cases, two broke. Very nice looking cases and they have a tight seal I found the latch to be just a little too tight and when trying to snap one shut the side of the case cracked. Both cases cracked on the same spot
- Rick Ozga
cndbasshunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cndbasshunter »

i use the red bass mafia boxes and no problems. they are little heavy but they do work well with the heavier tungsten weights. the clear boxes break from the abuse of the tungsten bouncing on the waves.

StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

The Bass Mafia box is one solid box.
Here is a review from the Tackle Tour Site.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewbassmaf ... offin.html
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

I am curious if they sell the regular clear 12x9 plano stowaway boxes in a waterproof model?
jona38
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jona38 »

tbone1088 wrote:I am curious if they sell the regular clear 12x9 plano stowaway boxes in a waterproof model?
They make these 14'' x 9'' waterproof boxes. I'm sure you could find them local.
http://www.planostoragesolutions.com/pr ... -case.aspx
LifeIsntWasted
Participant
Participant

Post by LifeIsntWasted »

jona38 wrote:
tbone1088 wrote:I am curious if they sell the regular clear 12x9 plano stowaway boxes in a waterproof model?
They make these 14'' x 9'' waterproof boxes. I'm sure you could find them local.
http://www.planostoragesolutions.com/pr ... -case.aspx
11-12 bucks each at Walmart or Canadian tire.
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

thanks guys those are the ones I am looking for! Now I need a tackle bag to put them in. Looking for a soft case, need it to hold 4 of those stowaway cases and hopefully compact enough to tie down to my bike in the summertime.
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

I find hooks rust quicker in those "water proof" Plano boxes, the ones with the blue gaskets,
verses the regular ones. There's no ventilation, so if you put a hook in with a tad of water,
it's rust city, unless you get the lid open to air out quickly once off the water.
That's my experience anyhow, and just stick with the regular boxes.
Yup that Bass Mafia box looks great. :)
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

TBone,

I've seen smaller GPS bags before. I think Ed has a few. You might want to give him a call and verify.

Other than that, I have seen the smaller KVD soft sided bags at Canadian tire. I also remember seeing a spiderwire bag there as well but that was a few years ago at the Kemptville location. They now have a hunting and fishing section in that location and probably have more options, I just haven't paid much attention. I've been in there a few times but noticed that their prices are not the greatest unless the items are on sale.
Farlane94
Participant
Participant

Post by Farlane94 »

I just use an old backpack, tons of pockets, fits 3-4 boxes and i can walk around on shore with it easier, and its comfier with like 20lbs of stuff to carry.