Ling, burbot or what ever you want call it, you have to try

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
grizz
Participant
Participant

Ling, burbot or what ever you want call it, you have to try

Post by grizz »

Well I went over to camam04 house last night for a fish fry. On the menu was walleye and perch. That is until I add some ling that we had caught over the winter to the menu. When we first pulled one from the river we both said " people really eat theses things".
We kept a few to try. Well I am glad we did they are really tasty once you get past the look of the fish. I don't think canam will get over it, what can you expect from a grown man who rides a kids atv. Both myself and the two boys (they only seen them on the table all cooked up) really enjoyed it they both past the walleye and the perch and rammed down the burbot.

So give them a try and you will enjoy......if not send me a pm and I'll take them off your hands...lol.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Ling, burbot or what ever you want call it, you have to

Post by Eli »

They really are delicious. I like the firm, almost rubbery consistency of the meat.
Fkawee
Participant
Participant

Post by Fkawee »

Eli wrote:They really are delicious. I like the firm, almost rubbery consistency of the meat.
Are they easy to fillet?
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

Not too hard at all,

here is a clear video on how to https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... zWORf4OEVE

He makes it look pretty easy but I'd wager that he's done a few.

Cheers
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

MichaelGA wrote:Not too hard at all,

here is a clear video on how to https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... zWORf4OEVE

He makes it look pretty easy but I'd wager that he's done a few. Cheers
Looks straightforward enough, but he neglected to show the 10 minutes it took to get that damn slime off before he started skinning lol.
Not sure about that belly meat either. I didn't thing it was normally kept. Grizz did you keep it? if so how was it compared to the tail and loin?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
grizz
Participant
Participant

Post by grizz »

They are really easy fillet. Some guys wipe them down with paper towels before cleaning. I use a pair of latex gloves so I don't get my hands full of slime. No I didn't keep the belly meat, next time I will to try. You get some nice meat from them..