It ain't always about the fish...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

It ain't always about the fish...

Post by RJ »

Some trips aren't really about the fish, the one I just got back from is exactly that.

Most of the characters who attend this trip (8th year now) I met thru this site. Lifelong friendships formed and nurtured over the years. Though we don't see each other often when we do all hook up it's like it was yesterday we were altogether. It truly is special to me.

Though schedule wise only had me in for an overnighter while the group stays til Sunday I never plan to miss out on this one. One thing we've noticed over the years is less and less fishing gets done. We stay at a nice big hunt camp 14 clicks in the Calabogie Hills. This year I debated on even bringing fishing gear... :lol: This fishing generally is average at best so most spend the weekend socializing and catching up while enjoying a few drinks and playing some cards. Not sure I could last a whole weekend anymore!

One thing we've also noticed is we all aren't getting any younger.. :lol: Guys are delayed for doctors appointments, others are limping around and others are in bed passed out by 7... :lol: Another thing we noticed. Old guys taking selfies.. :lol:

I loaded in some very precious cargo with the Bravo. Middle aged men enjoy Buns apparently.

Jammer picked up this little trailer. We all gave him the gears asking him if he planned to do some gardening while there... :lol:

The ride in was effortless, compared to years past when it could take hours to get in.

We were at the camp and unpacked by 11. Do we fish? The winds howling. Well let's have a drink to think about it. We never left the camp.... :lol:

Dinner that night was easy. Just what middle aged men need.

We played some poker and after some long laughs and carrying on we decided to turn in. I checked my phone. It was 9:20... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The rest of the crew was to arrive the next morning sometime. We got up and hammered in a great breaky, then the debate started. Do we fish?

Well we did. We made it down to the lake.

There was service on the lake so everyones phones went nuts.. :lol:

I set a setline and walked away, found a comfy spot and settled in...

It was freezing, gusty and not a fish within 5 miles of us.... :lol: :lol: We lasted an hour... :lol: Back to camp we go. Venison sausages and more laughs. Perfect.

I had to get going so Jammer and Pat followed me out. Good thing. Zipping along the trail something went awry with the Bravos steering, chucking me hard right off the trail. Bounding down the side of a ridge I kept trying to turn left but gravity was winning.. :lol: Right down to the bottom where I came to a stop with the help of a tree. They stopped and all I heard was "Whatcha doin down there?" they thought I did it on purpose... :lol: With their help we got er back up via the winch on one of the quads for the last 50 feet. Back on the trail in 5 minutes and limped er back to the truck strong arming the steering the whole way.

The Bravo goes away until next years trip and I can't wait.

RJ
Trophyhunter
Participant
Participant

Re: It ain't always about the fish...

Post by Trophyhunter »

sounds like a great trip Rob , did you build any snowmen LoL
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

No Billy, I wasn't outside long enough... :lol: :lol:

RJ
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Sounds like some well deserved R&R to me!

I can imagine with running two websites, work and other commitments sometimes just relaxing is good!

I know I have been going 110% with work and domestic work for about 3 months now.....time for me to time out soon and punch some holes.

Wondering how 2 under 2 will be now in my 30s......haven't done that in 11 years.......hopefully not too bad.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

That's cool RJ, nothing beats good company :handgestures-thumbupright:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Being out in the bush with a bunch of friends, doesn't get much better than that!!
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Wow great report.

Bet with all that fishing "Euh socializing" over drinks, the snow outside of the camp must of been a pretty yellow. LOL
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Looks like a great time with friends. Too bad you couldn't stay longer. Looks like less snow up there than here.
Those steaks looks absolutely marvelous. That's the way to have them cut for sure, nice and thick.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

smitty55 wrote: Those steaks looks absolutely marvelous. That's the way to have them cut for sure, nice and thick.

Cheers
I'm not a fan of steak by any means. Maybe have a steak once or twice a year. I can say, that was good. :lol:

RJ
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

Ya gotta love those no pressure weekends.Good on you to keep up the tradition.I know who to PM if I need some buns. :)
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Hey, if you've got good buns, what else do you need?

Must have been a few good laughs with that crew. Glad ya had fun!

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

RJ wrote:
smitty55 wrote: Those steaks looks absolutely marvelous. That's the way to have them cut for sure, nice and thick.

Cheers
I'm not a fan of steak by any means. Maybe have a steak once or twice a year. I can say, that was good. :lol:

RJ
I could live on steak! Looks like a good time RJ tons of buns!
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

Tons of buns and 36 beers? Sounds like my kinda party...
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
jammer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jammer »

The older I get the less the fish matter... Was nice to have some chill time... Glad you manage to fit this trip in your hectic schedule... It wouldn't be the same without you... :wink:
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I do miss this get together. Glad there's a few regulars still getting together no matter what bummer conditions are thrown at them! You guys are a great crew to be around on trips like this and I cant wait to see ya's all this spring.