Baitcasting rod

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Baitcasting rod

Post by LeGrand »

Been reading a lot about types of baitcasting rods. Want good quality.

Guess the best is a one piece, but that wouldn't be practical for me if I'm looking into a 7' Rod. What I would fancy would be a Travel rod (3-4 pieces), maybe telescopic. My understanding is that these later have come a long way in performance, flexibility and resistance.

Would appreciate Forum members honest opinion. I know that the best thing would be to purchase a few rods, but that won't happen.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Baitcasting rod

Post by TheMaverick »

There is nothing wrong with a travel rod if that’s what best suits your needs.
In regards to handling one, I’m not sure who would carry these rods, but my suggestion would be the Daiwa Ardito Travel rods.

Specs and material are well paralleled with price point.

http://www.daiwa.com/rod/detail.aspx?id=751
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

I've actually looked into the rod the Mav posted. Looks nice but i'm always worried about the rod action. I have owned a bass pro travel rod and st. croix travel rod. Both Very nice except I found the are more of a medium fast rod.
- Rick Ozga
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

LeGrand wrote:Been reading a lot about types of baitcasting rods. Want good quality.

Guess the best is a one piece, but that wouldn't be practical for me if I'm looking into a 7' Rod. What I would fancy would be a Travel rod (3-4 pieces), maybe telescopic. My understanding is that these later have come a long way in performance, flexibility and resistance.

Would appreciate Forum members honest opinion. I know that the best thing would be to purchase a few rods, but that won't happen.
A one piece for transfers vibrations better and that is why most rods over $100 are 1-piece.

My questions to you is why is a two piece better for you? If it does need to break, how long can the longest piece be?

The reason for my questions, is I know before the Paddletails doo, Ed had some Expride and Adrena rods that are two piece, but they break in front of the reel seat which is between 14-20" from where it breaks to the butt of the rod. They were marked half price within the $250 - $300 range (around 50% off) and they may suit your needs depending on price and the length of the rod when it's broken down.

As said before, give Ed and Sandie a call. I'm sure he can get you something you want and if he still has some items left from the sale, there were some crazy deals there!

Adam
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Much appreciated guys for the advice. Going to have to ponder with birthday approaching mid-April.

:)
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

LeGrand wrote:Much appreciated guys for the advice. Going to have to ponder with birthday approaching mid-April.

:)

Today just happens to be Thursday, Paddletales has their usually G2G on Thursdays
:wink: :wink:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Can make the G2G, cause one of our colleague I retiring and we have a 5to7 dinner farewell.

Maybe another Thursday. ;)
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Well I'm going to go and see Ed and be educated on the rods he holds I'm his store for future consideration. I glance at his web site and notice the three brands. Mostly one piece and a few two pieces.

I still had a weakness for a Travel Rod even knowing you loose sensitivity due to the ferrule sections. I did find a Travel Rod that boost having solved this issue and theirs is comparable to a one piece. The Rod his the Shimano Legend Trek. Yeah at close to US$500.00 it becomes quite expensive in CDA$.$$, and not locally available apart from Dicks Sporting Goods (by ordering on line).

So after the retirement dinner, I went to Le Baron and was well serve for what I consider "for now" a good temporary choice. A Rapala Salt Water 4 pieces. Less than $100.00

Trigger 7'4"

http://rapala.ca/products/magnum-baja-travel
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

Without becoming too technical (I'll save the lullaby effect for my show on Saturday) the transmission of energy is interrupted and negatively impacted by the joints associated with most multi-piece blanks. The energy imparted by the angler when casting or setting the hook as well as the energy transmitted by the fish when it samples your lure is dampened by the inefficiencies of most ferrule designs. When you bend a rod with 2 or more sections you will notice that a flat spot exists at each joint. The "flat spot" will dampen the energy transmission in both directions and significantly affect the rod's performance. The details associated with practical ferrule design are not overly complicated but in the interests of a timely completion (and to spare you the agony) I'll stop here. That said, the patented "bubble ferrule" developed and employed by G.Loomis results in a continuous bend throughout the blank and uninterrupted energy transmission. I am the first to cringe at the crap forced upon us by the marketing departments of the fishing industry however simple physics explains the aforementioned. Happy to discuss this further when your feeling particularly suicidal.

As others have said, 1 piece rods are superior for a variety of reasons. However if you need the portability of a travel rod than I would encourage you to consider the Escape series from G.Loomis.

http://www.gloomis.com/publish/content/ ... eries.html

/
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

I can understand why you want a travel rod. They are very convenient. especially if you don't own a boat. I own multiple 2 piece rods just so I can easily transport it. I do own one rapala rod, I use it for fishing small rivers and creeks. It’s a great little rod. Usually if I’m looking at 2 piece rods I go with fenwick. They make a few travel

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/Travel/Fe ... lt,sc.html
- Rick Ozga
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Went to PaddleTale this morning and Ed met my need with the following:

G.Loomis E6X Classic Mag Bass
783C MBR 6'6" (one piece)
Med-Heavy
Fast
10-17 lb
1/4-3/4 oz

He even gave me a demonstration and try of a pre-set store Baitcasting reel. He makes casting so easy. As for me, well I really need to practice before a outing.i

LOL
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

LeGrand,

I think you are going to have an amazing setup for a lot of good working techniques!

The Ex6 is a new rod that just came out but the people who have used them, have reported it feels more sensitive than the more expensive GL2. It's supposed to a be a great budget friendly rod.

Congrats on a nice buy! I am sure you will love that combo!!!

Adam
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Congrats! That's one heck of setup !
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

The MBR783 taper is a classic and arguably the best rod to build your arsenal around. You will be incredibly happy, it's probably too late to tell you but you're in big trouble now. Tell 'em boys. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Everyone remembers their "first" eh Paul?.. :lol:

RJ