Splake through the ice..

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
sam_h
Participant
Participant

Re: Splake through the ice..

Post by sam_h »

Doug wrote:I have no idea. I asked the same question on 28 Feb...............

Doug
Thinking we might cancel the trip. Gonna be crazy out there.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

sam_h wrote:

Doug
Maybe yes, maybe no, I just cannot say, I have NOT been out to the Burnt Hills Road end, and cannot give you any current advice, sorry.................

Doug
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

sam_h wrote:

Doug
From what I've been reading here that may well be a good idea for now. That's a good long tour for you to go and find conditions real crappy. I'm thinking that there will be some real nice conditions later in the month with still tons of ice. It is mostly about going out and enjoying yourself after all. Good luck

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Dog is an iffy fishery for splake. They grow big and it may be because of low competition because I think a lot of the thousands of stocked splake fingerlings are lost to predators and the environment. It's hard to catch well fed trout. If you have ever seen Dog in summer with the green algae slicks you'd wonder how the hell does this lake support a coldwater fishery.

Guys, pick up the latest MNR Regulations. It provides plenty of info on year round fisheries and seasons for splake, lakers, rainbow and brook trout. These are all lakes they stock heavily. Get a Backroads Atlas.....yea they're a piece of sh1t but it'll get you in the neighbourhood and pointed in the right direction. Go to FishOn and look up the lake and check the stocking reports and coordinates. You don't want to hit a lake they haven't stocked in 5 years. I'd pick a smaller lake (under 100 acres) up anywhere between Haliburton and Calabogie. Probably a certainty there is a unplowed road or trail into it. I'd go for splake. As Out4trout mentioned drill some holes near shore in 10'-20' of water. If there are no bass in the lake that is where the splake will be. Dozens of lakes to choose. Snowshoes make for a pleasant and easy walk. Now is the time to hit'em. They'll start biting real good. The melting water gets them on the bite and they know the banquet is about to begin.