Shirley's or Mississippi Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Shirley's or Mississippi Lake

Post by flewdogg »

I don't get many chances to ice fish with two young children around the house, so when I do I want to make it count. I am heading out this Sunday afternoon until after dusk. Where do you recommend I go: Mississippi Lake or Shirley's Bay? Please keep in mind that I do not have a sled so it's walking on or driving on (I do have a 4WD vehicle). Hoping for whatever but would like to get another walleye or two before the end of ice season.

Thanks for any input.
LifeIsntWasted
Participant
Participant

Re: Shirley's or Mississippi Lake

Post by LifeIsntWasted »

You just described my life! From reading the forum Shirleys is a no go for driving on onw ebcause of snow, even with 4wd. Don't know about the alternative though.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Your chances of catching Walleye are much greater fishing Shirley's bay, plus there is no slot limiting size you can keep. Last post by Ontario Rider said that a plow was out there doing some clearing so it may be much better by Sunday. Best bet would be to maybe drive out there tomorrow and check it out first hand. If you do go to Shirley's make sure to go out far enough to get into deeper water with some current for best results. Make sure to stay at least an hour after dark. At least it will be nice and mild on Sunday. Good luck.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

from another post someone has plowed a road at Shirley's. I don't know for a fact but was posted. as for brining kids you are probably better to hit Mississippi. Of course depending on where u are fishing there are lots more pan fish, perch etc. to keep the kids entertained. as for Shirley the bite doesn't really start (for walleye and there is not an abundance of pan fish around the launch area) until around 45 min before sunset and runs into dark. Nit the best for kids...
any how good luck and have fun.
CCLad.
flewdogg
Participant
Participant

Post by flewdogg »

Thanks guys! I think I'll do as Smitty suggested and check out Shirley's on Saturday. If it looks okay I'll go there on Sunday. I keep forgetting that Ottawa River doesn't have that Zone 18 slot limit for walleye. That probably clinches it for me, plus I fish Mississippi all the time in soft water season so will be good to go somewhere different.

Hope you all get out there this weekend. Take advantage of what looks to be milder temps.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I got the impression that Flewdogg was actually getting out without the young kids, seeing as he was staying out after dark, which is why I suggested Shirley's. It is a long walk though , if the driving is poor.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
LifeIsntWasted
Participant
Participant

Post by LifeIsntWasted »

Just to confirm since I was out earlier, Shirleys is definitely not drivable.