Vacations and......FISHING????

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Vacations and......FISHING????

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Good day all!

I have a bit of a question here.

Some of you may know that I will be tying the knot soon. Well after our son is born in April (yes you read that right...another Baby! 2 in 2 years)

My fiance and I are in the process of deciding where we want to go for a honeymoon.

Cuba, Dominican and Mexico and Grand Cayman are OUT.
Reason being that we have both been to these places many times (love them BTW) but want to go somewhere we both haven't been!

So far the list of places is:

Hawaii, Jamaica, Virgin Islands and India

Has anyone here ever been to one of these places? If so, how was it AND did you manage to wet a line and can shed light on licenses etc?

Thanks!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Vacations and......FISHING????

Post by fishin mission »

PM...
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Geez Jimmy. I know what you should be asking for as wedding gifts.. :lol:

Throw Costa Rica in that mix and I'm sure you'll find some info with some digging.

RJ
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

India.

India?

INDIA??? R-U Nuts?? Get a splinter and die from diphtheria. Fall into The Ganges.. and you are a dead necrophilia. Screw that!
If you are into going to a places that are open sewers and disgusting... I can get you a great deal on an all inclusive (all the creton you can eat) week in Thurso.

Jamaica? Ya... :banana-stoner: Hmm.. what to do in Jamaica...? :banana-stoner: I wonder what people would do in Jamaica.. :banana-stoner:
Personally not into 3rd world countries... so most of that caribbean is no go for me.

:character-spamcan:
Hawaii wins without a doubt. Maui. You will not regret it. Nothing beats Hawaii.

Certainly NOT India!!!!!!

People FROM India don't want to go to India FF-Sakes!!

Craig
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

India.

India?

INDIA??? R-U Nuts?? Get a splinter and die from diphtheria. Fall into The Ganges.. and you are a dead necrophilia. Screw that!
If you are into going to a places that are open sewers and disgusting... I can get you a great deal on an all inclusive (all the creton you can eat) week in Thurso.

Jamaica? Ya... Hmm.. what to do in Jamaica...? I wonder what people would do in Jamaica..
Personally not into 3rd world countries... so most of that caribbean is no go for me.

Hawaii wins without a doubt. Maui. You will not regret it. Nothing beats Hawaii.

Certainly NOT India!!!!!!

People FROM India don't want to go to India FF-Sakes!!

Craig
i think it has something to do with camel humping Craig :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thanks guys

Depending on costs (we are likely going to go wherever when rates are optimal) is the key.

Thanks RJ for the Costa Rica advice. I had hear (and I could be VERY wrong) that the beaches in CR are sparse?

Why India?

I guess its my English heritage that intrigues me to go. Our favorite foods are Thai and Indian.
I have a coworker from Bombay and he goes back for 6 weeks every 2 years. The pics and attractions look stunning!

Camels = Middle East & Australia
India is not the Middle east.....peacocks, tigers, cobras and elephants.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Big huge vote for Thailand here. Going the end of off season is the best because everything is half the cost as it would be in high season, and the number of people is about half as well. So just busy enough to meet some great people, but not so much you have to line up for everything.

I went for the month of Oct/beginning of Nov. We had rain every day, but never for more than a couple of hours, and usually it was only at night.

Only thing is you need 2 weeks vaca min. Any less isn't worth the travel in my opinion.

If this interests you at all, pm me and I can give you some ideas on where I went, including some fishing excursions :)
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

I'm in the same boat Jimmy. Big day is in October and we still have to decide all of this. My vote is Nunavut to fish Tree river or NWT for some lakers but she will have nun-a-vut lol.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Costa Rica or Belize. Both are safe and have some amazing fishing opportunities. Belize is more affordable IMO.
Costa Rica tarpon grow the largest in the world...
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Brad:

Funny you should mention NWT. My youngest kids are part-Algonquin ( I relaize not a band native to NWT). I plan very much to start taking them to Golden Lake when they are older to learn more about their heritage and to take part. I feel that that is very important.

One11

I did mention Thailand to her. We only have a week sadly. But it is on our list!

Eli:

Funny you should mention Belize. My brother is actually trying to set-up a dive charter business down there. He is also looking at the Virgin Islands to!
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

cousin_v wrote:Thailand...a great place to go with the boys....not with your wife!!! ;)
Common now.. there are many romantic places that do not involve the lady-boys on Soi Cowboy... :lol: :lol:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Ya not down with cheating or cheaters.....

If I went to Thailand I would take in some Muay-Thai classes, sample the insect cuisine and tour some temples.
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Costa Rica is real nice. But BY FAR the most likely place I want to go when I retire, after having visited there in the past year, is Roatan, Honduras.

The beaches there are simply outstanding. The sheer amount of little hut-rental resorts on the island is amazing. And the food and people there are great.

The only downside is that flights aren't cheap. That's why going for 10-14 days is better as you get more out of it if you're paying $1800+ for a pair of airline tickets.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

As a flight engineer for the Air Force my dad has been all over the world, north, south, east and west. He says the nicest place he has ever been is FIJI. Not sure on fishing or prices there but that is the place that he says is one of the most beautiful places in the world and he has been pretty much everywhere.

Jimmy: Cool that your kids haave some native in them and good on you for wanting them to learn about their heritage. That would definatly be something pretty darn cool to learn about IMO. I have a huge respect for the native people of this land and how they lived/live off the land.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Lots of great info here for ya Jimmy. The issue I see with most of those places is you'll be paying thru the nose to get on a boat. $500-600 a day for in most cases for a boat ride.

That's why we've fallen in love with Cuba, cheap and lots of DYI opportunities.

RJ