Yearly Gold Rush....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yearly Gold Rush....

Post by RJ »

This ice season I've made a concerted effort to do less trips. Doing away with the frantic rush to get on the ice for the evening bite locally for 2 hours and planning out two day trips to various spots, often just grabbing a hotel room to cut down on the senseless driving at all hours. It's working so far and I really don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

The first trip we put together was down to Quinte. A great crew all with experience on the Bay. It didn't feel like we wailed them but the crew tally by the end was approaching 30 Walleyes iced, some nice ones too.

My buddy Brandun has been chasing a true Quinte pig for nearly 2 years there thru the ice. Watching his reaction, top notch! His excitement was contagious within the group, all of us thrilled for him.

Full report with more pics and how we put em on the ice is here: http://www.rjnbirdeesoutdooradventures. ... gold-rush/

The Silverado is packed and away we go again!

RJ
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Yearly Gold Rush....

Post by riverdog »

Looks like a great outing RJ! I agree the fight isn't what keeps me chasing them its the finicky nature of them. I like fishing BOQ because I believe there is a good chance of a record breaking walleye being caught there or at least that's what I tell the wife!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Some nice specimens RJ..... Hope we do as good as you did (Finicky Gold) bring it on! :D :D
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Got to love those tank walleye RJ. Great trip bud :!: :!:
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveO »

Looks like a great outing. Also glad to hear that you are doing it with a more humane schedule.
eman

Post by eman »

Pretty amazing. Never seen it done this way before. It's almost exactly the same way I do Bullhead except it only takes one slice down the back after making a diagonal cut down toward the head from behind the dorsal fin. Takes maybe 5 seconds if the Bullhead cooperates lol.
trouthunter
Participant
Participant

Post by trouthunter »

great trip for sure.
lots of big fish
theDL
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by theDL »

Great report RJ! They definitely are a finicky fish. Was that picture of you and Brandun each holding a pig a double header?! :!:
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Yooooo weeeeee there be gold in dem der holes!
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Great report as usual. Sounds like you guys all had success, and fun, gotta have both compontants!
You say that last photo is one for the ranch wall, with all the amazing photos you post, it must be covered by now as it must be very hard to choose :lol:
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

Some real beauties for the gang right there! Gotta love the bay of pigs!
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
chappee77
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by chappee77 »

You make it look easy when it's really not....
Nice report!!
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Incredible looking walters RJ. Love how one is bronze and the other is pure gold. Man they're pigs. One day...

E
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

theDL wrote:Great report RJ! They definitely are a finicky fish. Was that picture of you and Brandun each holding a pig a double header?! :!:
Not a doubleheader sadly. :lol: I've become really careful with dealing with fish in the wintertime. No fish needs to freeze to death for a photo. What I've been doing is drilling a hole next to me portable to use as a livewell. Once I land a fish I may photograph I clip it on a stringer attached to about 8 feet of rope and put it down the hole. Completely harmless and it gives me time to wait til it gets warmer if its a early morning fish or for when an opportunity arises like that photo with Brandun. It has worked great and the fish are never any worse for the wear.

RJ
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Great report!! Can't beat a Quinte trip with those numbers and some big girls in the mix.