Looking for Sonar Recommandations

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
pigeon
Participant
Participant

Looking for Sonar Recommandations

Post by pigeon »

I am looking at Marcum Sonar. There are few model I am looking
for advice. I am interested on LX5 but it cost over $500.
I wonder is it really worth the investment?

Is it really big difference have a sonar when doing ice fishing?

Anybody have experience using the Marcum sonar with
under water picture viewer? Does it work well?

There is model higher than LX5, it can use for ice fishing and
Summer fishing, it is even more expensive. Is it worth the investment again?

Thanks
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Looking for Sonar Recommandations

Post by RJ »

Using any sonar will exponentially increase your on ice success.

RJ
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Wally »

How does it increase your fishing.You drill a hole, see no fish keep trolling around the lake with the auger.In the summer your sensor catch any movement under water
could be baits,weeds,fish you don't know.Is a flasher the same.I never experience in 25 years ,seeing fish on the screen ,drop my line and catch a fish.
Maybe RJ can answer me that....Wally
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

Worth every penny on the ice. Here's a good video of a guy using one to get walleyes to chase his jiggin spoon. Trust me there are days when this is the only tactic that works and you'd never even know it without using electronics.

http://youtu.be/vh0yMsNTdQ4?list=UUsIXd ... ejKDwxIHcQ
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Wally wrote:How does it increase your fishing.You drill a hole, see no fish keep trolling around the lake with the auger.In the summer your sensor catch any movement under water
could be baits,weeds,fish you don't know.Is a flasher the same.I never experience in 25 years ,seeing fish on the screen ,drop my line and catch a fish.
Maybe RJ can answer me that....Wally
Absolutely that is what happens when using a flasher. It gives you real time feedback as to what is happening right under you at that very moment. If a fish is swimming by 5 feet off bottom, you'll know to reel up to it to try to illicit a strike. Without it you'd never know.

RJ
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

I totally agree with RJ. You are fishing blind without a flasher and I wouldn't go ice fishing without one. It is particularly effective when fish are suspended. Without a flasher you are just guessing at the depth to fish. With a flasher you can see your jig and the fish, and how the fish reacts to the jig. You will know if there are fish down there, if there aren't then drill another hole until you find where the fish are holding.
pigeon
Participant
Participant

Post by pigeon »

Can fish finder for the Summer season shows how the fish react to your spoon under
the ice? If yes, could you tell me which fish finder?

Is flasher useful for ice fishing only?

And is Lx5 a good choice? Or there is other better choice/model for the similar price range?

Thanks.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/in ... board=74.0

No better place for info.

I've been using the LX-5 for 3 seasons now and like anything there are pros and cons. Great unit for precise target separation, zoom is nice to have for those bottom hugging fish, super fine line is also nice to have when your on a school of panfish. The cons they are not the most reliable flashers out there, I have yet to have any problems but know many people experience motor problems.

For what it's worth I'll be selling my LX-5 at the end of the season and moving to the Vexilar FLX28, you can't beat vexilar relilibilty.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

I have had the lowrance x-67c for 3 plus years now and it is STILL running like a champ. Battery is just now starting to show degradation but only a little bit. Price is pretty amazing considering you can use this in the summer as well with a different 'ducer. Highly recommend it for the budget conscious anglers out there it works great.
trouthunter
Participant
Participant

Post by trouthunter »

i have the Marcum LX7 and i really like it.
i bought the open water transducer and use it in the summer in my canoe.
it's a great unit.
only one thing thats frustrating is that Marcum is a terrible company to deal with.
they don't have good customer service in canada and ordering parts is a pain.
Woodsman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Woodsman »

tbone1088 wrote:I have had the lowrance x-67c for 3 plus years now and it is STILL running like a champ. Battery is just now starting to show degradation but only a little bit. Price is pretty amazing considering you can use this in the summer as well with a different 'ducer. Highly recommend it for the budget conscious anglers out there it works great.
No longer available new.
Upgraded version is the Elite 4X.